Scale a map size down by about 20%

I've been reading on scaling map sizes up, but I cannot figure out how to scale everything down. I made the map size and thus distances about 20% too big based on some stuff I want to do with it. How can I scale down everything to be 20% smaller, so 100 miles become 80 miles etc on an overland map? I've been playing with the scale command but must be missing some steps, its not working correctly. Thanks

Comments

• edited March 2011
    Scaling 20% is scaling to 80% as you say yourself in your miles example.
    The scaling factor to put in is thus 0.8 (80 over 100).

Theoritically though, if your map is 20% too big you shoud divide by 1.2 (120%) resulting in a scale factor of 1/1.2 (you can type it exactly like this : 1/1.2 CC3 understands). 1/1.2 is ca. 0.8333 so if you use 0.8 instead you won't be far away.

The scaling factor in CC3 is not in % but is the decimal (or ratio) value corresponding to the %. Anything like 0.8 , 0.80, 8/10 , 80/100, (100-20)/100 would be a correct answer to the prompt, the latest being the mathematically equivalent of minus 20%.
    The % character is reserved (in CC3) to the percent along command and is not usable otherwise so typing 80% won't work for the scale command.

Hope I'm clear enough.
    Happy mapping,
    JdR