Is there a way to apply a drawing style to a CC3 map imported from FT Pro?

I would like to take a world map based on the ETOPO2 dataset and import it into CC3, but apply the Jonathan Roberts drawing style in the March '11 issue of the annual. Is this possible? I'm doing this for a campaign, and would like to use an 'alternate Earth', but figured that since the data was already there, why reinvent the wheel? Thanks!

John.

Comments

• JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited March 2011
    You can export the FTPro map as a graphic file. Import that into CC3, trace over it and add the symbol set and mapping style of your desire. Just use the imported graphic as a guide.

There are replies around here on how to import a graphic image of a map. There are also tutorials linked to in these forums.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    While Jim's suggestion is workable, there is a command that can make your job easier: the "Change like drawing tool" command (CHANGEDTM).

Do you export as normal from FT Pro, load up the exported map and under File > Drawing Properties, set the maps style to "Jonathan Robers Overland".

Import a simply map done with the JR style into the map and delete it again - this is too import the new bitmap drawing tools into your FT map.

Now right-lcik the Change Properties button, and choose "Change like drawing tool". Right click and select the "Land, Default" tool from the list. Select your continents and islands and Do It. It will be changed into a continent as if drawn by the Jon Roberts drawing tool.

You can do the same with rivers and climate features, if you exported those from FT. You'll still have to add any symbols by hand, but you'll be a good step towards a complete JR style maps based on your FT map.
  • That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

John.
  • It is the method I'm used to. The method Ralf mentioned is likely faster and easier to do.
  • Jeff BJeff B Betatester 🖼️ 37 images Surveyor
    edited March 2011
    Posted By: Ralf

Import a simply map done with the JR style into the map and delete it again - this is too import the new bitmap drawing tools into your FT map.

I'm lost here how do you import the other map?

Got it not import but insert file.
  • Insert the other map into the template you have as above.

Save as a filename. I 'save as' a series of filenames so i can back up to an earleir version if I need to.

Go to the lower left corner of the inserted map. Type the word origin and press the enter key.

Select the lower left corner of your map, zoom in if you need to.

That corner is now the origin of your map. Easier to manipulate the map if you do that.
    Posted By: akbdeck

I'm lost here how do you import the other map?

Got it not import but insert file.
    "Insert file" is what you're looking for. Sorry for being imprecise with the terminology.
  • All:

I tried Ralf's technique on a test map last night, and I got it to work. Is there an easier way to delete the inserted map than using the erase command?

John.
    Just do
    Erase > Right Click > Select by Prior > Right-Click > Do it
    after inserting the map. That's as easy as it gets. :)
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited March 2011
    i also put the inserted file on its own layer. This is for inserting a png or bmp and tracing over it.
  • jaerdaphjaerdaph Traveler
    Posted By: RalfJust do
    Erase > Right Click > Select by Prior > Right-Click > Do it
    after inserting the map. That's as easy as it gets. :)
    Alternately, you can just go to Edit -> Undo on the menu at the top. The simple map you inserted with the drawing tools and fill styles you wanted will disappear, but leave the drawing tools and fill styles you want behind.
  • 12 days later
  • Posted By: RalfWhile Jim's suggestion is workable, there is a command that can make your job easier: the "Change like drawing tool" command (CHANGEDTM).

Do you export as normal from FT Pro, load up the exported map and under File > Drawing Properties, set the maps style to "Jonathan Robers Overland".

Now right-lcik the Change Properties button, and choose "Change like drawing tool". Right click and select the "Land, Default" tool from the list. Select your continents and islands and Do It. It will be changed into a continent as if drawn by the Jon Roberts drawing tool.

You can do the same with rivers and climate features, if you exported those from FT. You'll still have to add any symbols by hand, but you'll be a good step towards a complete JR style maps based on your FT map.
    I tried to use the above method to import the outline of one of my worlds islands into a new map and get the Jon Roberts style, after clicking Do It nothing seems to happen. After hitting the redraw button, the continents disappear as if I had used the erase command instead.
  • here is a copy of the CC3 file, if that helps to test it.
  • before finding this topic I had imported this island on a seperate layer and was tracing by hand using the John Roberts default land (beige land with blue outline), but am not satisfied with how it is looking. The blue lines are too thick for some of the smaller islands (it ends up covering almost all of the landmass leaving a dot of beige and a blue blob), so I was wondering if there was a way to make the blue a thinner line?
    I fear your landmass is too complicated and large a multipoly for the "Change like drawing tool" function to work. You can either

- explode the multipoly and use the change function on the individual polygons. You'll have to separately change any lakes and inland seas though.
    - draw a little piece of defalut landmass, use KEEP on it, and then CHANGE PROPERTIES on your multipoly to make it the same. That's fairly easy, but you need to create the outline separately.

As for the thickness of the coastline, you can change that by clicking "Advanced" in the draw tool dialog, selecting the Land, Default tool and under "Outline" change the line width. That will affect future coastlines For already drawn coastlines, use "Change Line width" (right-click Change Properties to find that) and select by layer COAST/SEA.

Hope that helps.