Big Slash through my coastline

I wonder if you can all take a look at this... I've just started work on a very large map... one entire hemisphere of a world a friend of mine is working on. Very early into it I'm getting this very large slash, on the eastern coastline. I've created the main continent twice now and each time I've gotten the slash. The landmass is quite large so it's kind frustrating to have to redraw it a third time. I've tried the moving nodes, adding nodes and deleting nodes with no success. Any clues that could help me out?

Also, any advice in general for working with very large maps?

Comments

• Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    edited March 2011
    It's because of two nodes at a highly acute angle. You can either find and delete that node, or reduce the width of the black coastline to zero. If you are having a problem finding it, send it over and we can take a look. (Incidentally, this is a problem we are working on)
  • I'll try again later when I get off of work. Is there any way to see the actual node points themselves?
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    On a smooth polygon you can use ctrl-F to toggle the node/frame view of the poylgon. In this map, you should simply zoom in close enough, so you can see the corners clearly. The corners of the polygon are the nodes.
  • Hmm, I was afraid you'd say that. I've zoomed right in as close as I can get figuring the end points of the slash would be nodes... and no luck selecting. Then I figured I'd just delete the nodes on either side of the slash and again no luck. I'll try again tonight and perhaps send it on in for you guys to take a look at if that fails.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    edited March 2011
    The end points of the slash are not the nodes - because it's a wide line they are in the middle of the line, on your coast. The offending node will be right there in the middle of the slash where it intersects the coast.

The problem might be that you accidentally hit the brown polygon below the coastline, because that's in the same location. To prevent this hide or freeze all layers but the COAST/SEA one.