Sheet Effect Issues

I had CC3 for one week and I'm loving it! But, I am having (what I hope is) a minor issue. Attached is my first serious attempt at mapping, which is incomplete; I am chalking this up to user error. I'm having issues with the "Land" and "Land Features" sheets. I would be very happy NOT to have to start from scratch, but no fix I try seems to work. All land and islands are (I think) on the "Coast/Sea" layer and the "Land" sheet. Everything else, except structures, are spread between 3 layers but are all on the "Natural Features" sheet.

When I apply the sheet effects to "Natural Features" some of the symbols don't show it, or only part of the symbol is affected, even tho' all are on the same sheet. The "Land" sheet is just a soup sandwich; coast lines are different thicknesses and the glow effect applied to "Land" is odd as well...
Thanks all

Comments

• Symbols are mostly placed, by CC3, on the symbols sheet.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    I've taken a look at your map and it's pretty different from the standard B&W sheet setup. As Jim says, symbols should normally be on the SYMBOLS sheet. Yours are on TERRAIN FEATURES and STRUCTURES. Your coastlines and land areas are also - at least partly - on custom sheets. It' a bit hard to say what to do to make things "right", as I don't know what you're attempting to do.

I'm attaching a map where everything is "fixed", i.e. the way the B&W style normally is.

I recommend being careful with chagning the default sheets things should go on. Use LAYERS for sorting and selecting your symbols, but leave the SHEETS as they are, at least until the map is finished. You can then go back in and changes sheets, add and edit sheet effects and so on, until you have the result you want.

Hope that helps.
  • Yeah... I also discovered that the custom sheets I created were the problem for the symbols; I also discovered that "somehow" the mainland and islands were split between the Land and Coastline sheets. That's what I get by trying to run before I can crawl, I guess.

My overall idea for the map is to apply glow to land features, to give them an "ink bleed" look, but all structures and points of interest will have crisp edges (like they were freshly drawn on a very old map). All in all, it was a good learning experience. Thank you, Ralf and JimP for your help.