Maps of old Modules

Hello All.

Has anyone mapped any of the old TSR AD&D modules? Specifically I'm looking for A1: Slave Pits of the Undercity. I have all the modules, but wanted to have the maps in CC format so I could bring them into MapTool for my PlayByPost games. Just thought I would ask in case anyone has already done it.

Thanks!

Steel Rat
http://rpgmapshare.com
http://infinite-realities.com

Comments

• I've got the Giant series, the Drow series, and Temple of Elemental Evil. I've never seen the Slave series floating around...

loyd
  • Thanks, loydb. Are those in some public repository?
  • edited March 2008
    Posted By: MetalHi Loyd,
    Where did you come across the maps of the old TSR modules you mentioned?
    Ummm, they're dated 2001, so the most specific I can recall is "teh interweb".

I put them up for download: Bunch o Maps
  • Wow, thanks Loyd! The map of the ToEE sure brings me back to days long past!

I remember dying in that moathouse!
  • edited March 2008
    I haven't done anything with DD3 yet. I'm going to dig out my old copies of the A series and see how complex they'd be, might be a fun learning project. Of course "I'm going to dig out" presumes that I actually know where to look...

loyd

edit: less than 60 secs to find. Win!
  • Lol. I started mapping the main level of A1 already, but I don't know if I'm using "proper" mapping techniques. And of course I can never get Effects to do what I want.
  • Hmm.. copying something out of a dungeon module would be a great way for me to learn DD3. Perhaps I'll pick a module and get started!

The Keep On The Borderlands perhaps.. that one had a bunch of interesting caves IIRC.
  • A1 has both caves and "normal" areas.
  • 3 years later
  • I'm back to working on this again.

Haven't been mapping for a long while, so I'm trying to re-familiarize myself with CC.

I'm trying to make a water feature inside a dungeon which is a quarter circle, kind of like a moat. so it's not a slice of a pie, so much as a curved corridor filled with water. Don't know how to make a curved corridor, though.

Any ideas?
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Which drawing style are you using? The default DD3 dungeon?

If you do, do the following:
    - Click the All drawing tools button, Click "Advanced"
    - Select the "Water, Default" tool
    - Click "New" and name your new tool "Water, Curved Path"
    - choose "Closure: Open"
    - click "Options" and choose "Smooth"
    - click Properties and set the line width to the width of your moat (e.g. 3')

You now have a drawing tool that you can use to draw your dungeon feature.
  • Thanks Ralf. Yes I'm using Default DD3. I'll give that a try this evening.

One other thing, how do I get the DD3 color (raster) objects as the default when I click the DD3 icon? It keeps coming up with the vector objects.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited May 2011
    Right click 'Symbol Style Toggle', then select 'DD3 Color' or 'DD3 Bitmap'. This set the master filter to the appropriate value. This will probably cause a symbol catalog selection box to pop up, just select any catalog here. The buttons should now load the correct symbol style.
  • Thanks Monsen. That works for the session, but when I click the DD3 button, it reverts back to vector.
  • Ralf, your suggestion worked pretty well, as I expected it would. Now I need to figure out how to draw a symmetrical semi arc...
    Posted By: RalfWhich drawing style are you using? The default DD3 dungeon?

If you do, do the following:
    - Click the All drawing tools button, Click "Advanced"
    - Select the "Water, Default" tool
    - Click "New" and name your new tool "Water, Curved Path"
    - choose "Closure: Open"
    - click "Options" and choose "Smooth"
    - click Properties and set the line width to the width of your moat (e.g. 3')

You now have a drawing tool that you can use to draw your dungeon feature.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    I would use the standard CAD drawing tools (on the right-hand toolbar). RIght-click the Arc button to get all kinds of options to draw different arccs.

You can then later use the "Change like draw tool" function to turn this arc into the same look as the drawing tool I described. You'll find this command when right-clicking the Change Properties button.
  • Thanks Ralf. Still trying to figure out the last part, making the arc tool like the water arc tool.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: Steel RatThanks Monsen. That works for the session, but when I click the DD3 button, it reverts back to vector.
    Yea. The button seems to be set up to load DD Pro style by default instead of DD3. To fix this you either need to edit the CC3 menu files, or the CC3 macro files

Posted By: Steel Ratmaking the arc tool like the water arc tool
    You'll find the 'Change like draw tool' function by right-clicking the Change Properties button. The command line will then first ask you to specify a drawing tool (right click for list), then ask you to select the entities to change.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    Don't forget the awesome December issue of the first Annual! Creating your own styles. It came with a "classic dungeon" style, just like the old module maps. I can't recall when they started using more sophisticated looking maps but it's a hoot to see it. I believe the G1-2-3 and D1-2-3 series maps are done that way.

~Dogtag