CC3 Cosmographer Issue with Ley Traveller Sector Map

I am not sure if this is an issue with the Traveller Map site or the map importer in CC3 Cosmographer.

If you open the Ley map in CC3 and look at hex 0721 you will see that it is empty. If you look in the same place on the web site
http://www.travellermap.com/?x=60.801&y=19.563&scale=64&options=887&style=poster
You will see planet 069-526. As I do not know how the importer works I do not know is this is a data issue on TravellerMap or in the actual importer.

A change request that would be nice if this is a bug in the importer would be to have the sector names on the main map be on a different layer than the sector names in the map key. This way I can turn off the sector names in the main map.

Is there a script file in human readable text that we could manipulate to build the maps with more tweaks?

Comments

• Ok I found the Example.cfg file. When I run an import of Ley and select Example.cfg without any changes, I get the following errors.

First Error:
    The MessageBox has CC2 in the title but I am running CC3.

ChkData DAV has no pending DRQ
    TSPECF Arial

Second Error:
    The MessageBox has Warning in the title.

Campaign Cartographer 3 does not understand the command:
    TSPECF ARIAL

Third Error:
    The MessageBox has Warning in the title.

Campaign Cartographer 3 does not understand the command:
    BACKGROUND

The script appears to have stopped and the Layer is set to BORDERS. When I run the default script it ends with Layer SECTOR NAMES selected.
  • edited February 2011
    I removed all lines other than the one I want to customize. It looks like it uses the default settings except where you override them in your config file. This is good.

I have nailed the error. It does not like spaces in the names of the property values. An example is as follows.

before sectors = SSET TEXT BACKGROUND;TSPECF Arial;TSPECH 1;TSPECA 45;TSPECJ 7;TSPECS 16;LAYER SECTOR NAMES;COLOR 16

TEXT BACKGROUND is bad.

How do we handle spaces in names? I tried using indexes but it thought I was using a name and did not find it.
  • edited February 2011
    I have identified why the planet is missing from the map.
    Here is the data it is getting from the map site. I have removed some spaces to make the line of text shorter.

069-526 0721 BAAA630-7 Fl Ni Wa 103 Im M4 V K8 D

I then checked other planets with a ‘-‘ in the name and they are missing as well.

There are two parsing bugs. One is the space in the property value of the sheet name. The layer name seems to support spaces.
    The second is ‘-‘ in the name of the planet. I wonder if there are any other characters that are not supported.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Yes, that was a known bug with the sector importer, which we've since fixed. Please see the Downloads tab of the registration page - there is a separate download available for the Traveller Sector Importer. It fixes this bug.
  • Yes, that did the trick.
    I added a new hidden layer called MAIN SECTOR NAMES to the template.
    I created a new config file that put sectors on the new layer.
    When I save it as a PNG at 5000 X 10000 it looks quite awesome.

The template does not pass the hidden flag over on the new map. The new layer is there but it is not hidden.

When I imported the Ley map it added three XBoat routs that did not belong. One ran pretty much across the top. Another ran pretty much down the left side of the map. The last one ran diagonal from top left to mid right. It does not do this on the other maps I have imported. It does it every time I import Ley.

One feature request that would be nice if you do an update would be a method to configure a default config file so I do not need to select my custom config every time.
  • Somewhat related question.

Where do you get the maps to import?
  • Posted By: Torg SmithThey come from this site.

http://www.travellermap.com

It provides the data.
    Hmm, interesting. Didn't know i could actually export that map into something like COS3. Are you using the Sector Data link down at the bottom and saving as a certain file type?

Sorry for the questions, and I really dont mean to highjack this, just found it really interesting where you got the data.
  • The Traveller Map site has an API that allows you to compose a HTTP request to view a map or get data. Cosmographer 3 has a utility that requests the data and you have some control how it builds the map.

The map you see on the map site is a typical Traveller map. I do not know if you are familiar with Traveller RPG. Mongoose publishing is the current company to be producing Traveller products.

The Maps made by Cosmographer 3 look awesome. Here is a small part of one of the maps.

http://forum.profantasy.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=1843
  • edited February 2011
    Torg,

Thanks for the information. Huge Traveller fan here (CT only. Never tried Mongoose, but did dabble with MegaTraveller and T4. Checking out GURPS...maybe). Played in the 80's and getting my kids into it now. It's THE main reason i bought the Profantasy programs, which are a huge help over hand drawn maps.

I'm not clear on how to export that data, but i'll figure it out so i don't keep highjacking.

If i have more questions, i'll make a separate post.

Again, thank you so much for the help.