Accidentally turned off effects on Map?

Hi, I am comparitively new to CC3 and I first created a map of my fantasy world, as I progressed I decided to copy a rectangular bitmap of part of that map and use it as a base for a larger scale rendition of a specific area. So after braving the minefield of Vista FCW32 crashes, I eventually got a new map started. Problem is that it doesn't process any sheet effects. It is not because of the change of scale, because I removed all the blur effects, leaving me with just a transparency effect which by my understanding is not effected by the scale of the map. Likewise since I only have one effect on the sheet, it cannot be because of the order of the effects. I have hidden all of the other sheets, and set transparency to 20% which should give me an obvious difference when I switch between activated effects and deactivated effects. I have ensured that the effects I am changing are for the sheet which I am observing. (I had one memorable session where I was happily changing effects on a hidden sheet, and wondering why it showed no changes on the only visible sheet :>)) I have tried turning sheets on and off, I have tried toggling sheets, I have tried altering the default conditions so that the map initially draws the map with effects on. None of these have made the slightest difference, I have tried deleting all the sheets but the one I want with transparency set, and turning the computer off and rebooting, nothing. After 3 days of banging my head against this brick wall, I eventually copied a new rectangular bitmap from my original map and started from scratch with a new file, no problems, effects worked perfectly, with a bit of tinkering to allow for scale differences, everything is 'hunky dorey'. As far as I can make out there is no difference between what I did the second time, and ny original failed attempt. So, is there some secret switch I accidentally set, that permanantly disables effects for a map, or did I manage to corrupt my file on the first attempt. I would like to know, if there is a solution to this, or at least when it first manifests, so that I can avoid spending time on creating a map that will not accept sheet effects.

Sorry if this is a little long winded, but I wanted to show the possible causes I had excluded, so anybody offering help could hit the ground running. I am still quite prepared to believe it is something glaringly obvious that I have missed. The sheet that displays the error best is the Land features sheet.
NickT

Comments