How to change the color of a symbol in DD3

I'm designing a small dungeon using Dungeon Designer 3, and I plan to use a symbol for human footprints -- but I want the footprints to be yellow, not dark gray.

How can I change the color of this symbol? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    It depends on the type of symbol.

If it is a varicolor symbol (vector or raster) symbol, simply select the appropriate color from the color bar before placing the symbol.

If it is a non-varicolor vector symbol, you can explode it, then use change properites on the relevant parts to change the color of the fill style.

If it is a non-varicolor raster image, you need to create a copy in another color. Load the png file for the symbol into an image editor, change the color, then save under a new name. Now use Draw -> Insert Image to insert your new symbol into the map (there are other ways to insert the image, like creating a symbol catalog, or opening a folder of .png's in the symbol in the symbol catalog window. Any option will do)
  • I'm unfamiliar with those terms (varicolor, vector, raster, non-varicolor, etc). The symbol I'm trying to use is located in DD3/Color/Debris, and it's called Footprints Human.

How do you 'explode' a symbol? I could try that.
  • varicolor. Look in the upper right of each symbol in the symbol list on the left side of your mapping area.

If you change the color in the color selector, and that square, and the symbol, changes color, that is a varicolor symbol.

If you change it and the symbol doesn't change, and there shouldn't be a square either, it is a non-varicolor symbol.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Varicolor means that the user can select the color of the symbol when using it, instead of being stuck with the color the symbol was designed with.
    Vector symbols are symbols drawn with CC3's own tools, just as the maps you create in CC3 are vector maps. These symbols are generally more flexible than raster symbols, but also generally doesn't look quite as good (looks more "old-style")
    Raster symbols are symbols using bitmapped images instead of vector drawings. Each raster symbol has an associated image file in the png image format.

All of these are explained in the CC3 manual. If you haven't read this manual yet, you should do so as it explains all the basic concepts of CC3. Even if you do not plan to draw overland maps, the topics covered in this manual will give you the proper foundation for working with any of the addons, like DD3.

As for the particular symbol you are talking about, it is a raster image, non-varicolor. If you wish to change the color of this symbol, you need to edit it in an image editor. You'll find the image files for this symbol in your #Symbols\Dungeons\DD3\DD3 Color\Debris (# refers to your CC3 installation directory). Notice that there are four images for the "Footprints Human" image. These are in four different resolutions. You should open these up in an image editor (like Gimp, PaintShop Pro or Photoshop) and change the color, then save them under a new name (and ideally another location). You can then insert these modified footprints into your drawing by clicking the "Browse" button right on top of your symbol catalog display, and browse to the location where you saved the image. Once you open any image in this folder, the symbol catalog should show you all the images in this folder, ready for use just as the symbols that came with CC3.

There is also a vector version of these footprints. That one is varicolor, so it is far easier to use if you feel it fits into your drawing. To get to it, Right Click on the Symbol Style Toggle button, then select "DD Pro Filled". From the window that pops up, choose the "DD Pro Filled Debris" catalog. Now, click the small plus sign in the top left corner of the footprints symbol to see the varicolor version. Notice how this symbol changes colors as you change the active color (either by selecting a color from the color bar, or by clicking the color indicator on the status line and choosing a new color from the palette dialog that pops up)