Trouble with symbols and Background

I have some symbols which must have come with one of my add ons, the symbols are CA22 and consist of space bodies, planets, suns. When I want to start a new map and use these symbols where do I go to find them. The first map I stated had them available and when I open that map they are there. When I start a new map I can't find them at all. Help!

Also when I start a new map and I'm selecting my own background and not a predefined one. The window opens giving me a choice of several background options such as RS Sea; RS Land, Scrub Bitmap, several Solid Bit Maps, Water, and a vareity of lands such as swamps, forest, etc. Some the backgrounds show and others are filled with red X's (like four rows and five columns of them), sometimes there is a whole bunch of them, just smaller. Why is this happening and where is the background choices. When I did a system restore they cam back and shortly after that disappeared again. I don't get it. And then sometimes when I choose a map background it gives me these options again under fill style (mostly terrain colors, like various different mountains, forest, etc.) and when I click one of them, the background doesn't change anyway.

Is there something wrong with my program or are these pre-set things that aren't suppose to change despite that the option is provided?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited December 2010
    CA22 means the Cartographer Annual issue 22, so make sure you have this one installed (october 2008)

Assuming this is installed, you can browse to the symbol catalog by using the brows button at the top of the symbol catalog window. The CA22 catalogs are located in #Symbols\Cosmographer\CA22 Star Systems

The red X's happens because the image files for a fill style is missing. This can be due to a bug in the template (The fill style points to the wrong location), or due to the fact that you are actually missing some files. Once you are done with the new map wizard, you can enter the fill styls dialog and have a look at the bitmap files section. For the fills that display red X's in this dialog, look at the path to the image file it is using. This often gives you an idea where the file came from.
    I am unsure about where exactly you are for the last part of this question, but generally, when you select a fill style in a CC3 dialog, you select the fill style used for future entities, it won't change your existing background (Use Change Properties on the background entity to do this)
  • I suspected the symbols were missing, I just can't figure out what makes them be there upon loading the program and why they suddenly disappear.

As for the CA22 Star Systems, I still have no idea where your talking about. I've looked at all the images/icons at the top of the screen which run right to left and none of them say Symbol Catalog window, neither to the ones on the far right which run up and down. Am I looking for a icon picture or are you talking about the menu choices above such as Draw, edit, Smbols, Cosmographer? I really don't know where to look or what the thing is actually titled.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    The symbol catalog window is where you see the currently loaded symbol catalog is shown, immediately to the left of the drawing window. On top of this window, right above the topmost symbol are three buttons, an options button, the "symbols in drawing" button and the "browse symbol catalog button" image. Click this button and browse to the path I provided above to find the CA22 catalogs.