CD3 low/high-res, DD3 installation and Installer updates

Hello everyone,

I'm currently in the long process of reinstalling my software after formatting my computer.
I have two setup files for City Designer 3 the low-res art (smaller filesize) and the high-res art (huge filesize). I remember installing both in the past, with the idea of choosing the most convenient for every map; however I never really got to use these until now.

Do I have to install both to get low AND high res art? Or does the high-res installer includes the low-res stuff?

While we are on the subject:
Why is "DD3 Artwork Only" item disabled by default during DD3 installation?
What will I be missing if I leave that disabled?

Also, I know the installer files have been updated some time ago to remove .NET dependencies and also some missing or updated manuals.
How do I know if the Setup files for your software have been updated (and thus I should download again) since I last downloaded? (without having to download again and compare the files)
Do you somehow notify customers about this?

I did try searching both questions in the forum and mailing list but couldn't find any information; hope this hasn't been answered in the past.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited November 2010
    The high-res installer only contains the artwork itself. You need to install the low-res package to actually get the CD3 addon at all.

The Artwork Only is disabled by default, because it does just what the title says - Artwork only, i.e. not the DD3 addon at all, only the artwork from it. This option is used if you wish to use the DD3 artwork with another program. For a normal install as an addon to CC3, it should be left disabled. The option won't give you anything you don't already get.

Not sure how to check that for the last one. However, it doesn't matter that much. If you have .net (1.1 SP1) on your computer, both versions will install without problems, and no matter the version, the latest patch will make it up to date in any case. If you do not have .net, you might get an error message, which of course means that you need to get the updated installer.
  • pool7pool7 Traveler
    Thanks for the prompt reply Monsen.

There's one thing that still doesn't make sense:
    The DD3 artwork only stuff - It is a totally separate item from the rest of the components that get installed. I mean, it's in the same level as the other 2 options (which I can't remember right now).
    What I mean is: none of the 3 options seem to depend on each other; in fact no matter which are set to install the others won't be affected (or so it seems during installation).
    So it does seem like you can install both the add-on and the artwork, or just one or the other.

If I do install the artwork, will it not be used by CC3?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: pool7If I do install the artwork, will it not be used by CC3?
    No. CC3 will not use the artwork installed by the "Artwork only" option.
    This option is only needed if you do not have CC3, because it will put a copy of all the artwork in a folder of your choice, for use by other software. The exact same artwork will be installed into your CC3 installation from one of the other two installation options, so CC3 will get all the artwork in any case, this option does not represent any additional artwork.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Posted By: pool7What I mean is: none of the 3 options seem to depend on each other; in fact no matter which are set to install the others won't be affected (or so it seems during installation).
    So it does seem like you can install both the add-on and the artwork, or just one or the other.
    The normal DD3 part (the actual add-on) does include the artwork already - it just gets installed in the CC3 program directory. The artwork-only option is for people who want to use the bitmap files in other applications, either in addition to or instead of CC3. It is a completely separate part for convenience and because CC3 uses a special naming/convention/file setup for the bitmap files, which would be confusing if you tried to use it directly in another program.

Hope that make sense.
  • pool7pool7 Traveler
    Thank you both!

I installed DD3 with all options since I use Fractal Mapper as well.
    I'll install both low and high res CD3 and I'm good to go.

Regards!
  • pool7pool7 Traveler
    Well, I now remember this happened in the past, but can't remember why I didn't ask...
    I installed CD3, everything ok. I then installed CD3 high res, and after validating the serial I got to a screen with two options:
    Repair
    Remove

I obviously chose Repair. It seems like both CD3 installers use the same ID or something.
    Now, my question is: by choosing Repair, do I still get both the add-on AND the high res stuff?

Thanks and sorry for being such a pain :S
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    You do get both even with a Repair install, no problem.