Cosmographer 3, .Net Framework 4, and Update 9

I downloaded Cosmo3 yesterday and have some of quick questions and some comments.

When I ran the Cosmo3 installer yesreday I got a messege saying that certain bonus features weren't installed as I didn't have .net framework 4. I ran the installer again chose the unistall option on Cosmo3 and did an unistall. I went and downloaded .net famework 4, installed it, installed Cosmo3 again. I didn't get the messege this time of some features not being installed.
I ran Update 9 afterwards.

My first questions are what features was the Cosmo3 installer talking about earlier and how can I check to see if they are installed?

My first comment is that it looks like you want to make sure you have .net frameworks 4 installed first before installing Cosmo3, based on the messege I got.

My second comment is on Update 9. It doen't fix the meadows bitmaps problem that Update 8 has. I had to replace 2 messed up meadows bitmaps with the fixed ones after running Update 9. So make sure you do this after running Update 9 if you have to.

My last uestion concern the XPCC2.dll. When I ran update 9 it put a new version of this in. In the Annual subscriber lab they have a version of this file for download that adds an additonal dialog and calculation option. Did the Update 9 version of this file have any changes from the Update 8 one that would make it unsuitable for me to use the Subscriber Lab one?

Looking forward to playing around with Cosmo3 in the next couple of days.

Comments

• RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    .Net 4 is necessary for the Traveller sector importer to work. We'll make that part available as a separate download too, so people can get it later without having to reinstall the whole Cosmo3.

I've fixed Update 9 to include the broken meadows bitmaps... this seems to be escaping me again and again. :P

Will check into the XPCC2.dll from the laboratory later.
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited September 2010
    Where is the Gliese catalog ? I probably looked right at it and didn't see it. I don't have .net 4, but I'll be installing that after i uninstall Cosmo 3.
  • Ah, I found it, under cc3\Scripts
  • Ralf,
    I thought that Campaign Cartographer and all the upgrades to version 3 (DD,CD,) were moving away from having to download the .Net?
  • Thanks Ralf.
    Where exactly is the Traveller sector importer, or how do I access it? I want to make sure that it is in my Cosmo3 instalation.
    I ran redownloaded Update 9 again to check the fix of the meadows. Still are having those two be messed up after running the patch.
    Posted By: PeterGRalf,
    I thought that Campaign Cartographer and all the upgrades to version 3 (DD,CD,) were moving away from having to download the .Net?
    Yes, and we had quite a discussion internally about whether we should include this .Net 4 requirement. But the alternative would have been to have no Sector Importer at all - and we didn't like that. The compromise was to have the .Net requirement for this bit of extra fucntionality, but not make it necessary for the normal install.
    Posted By: Jay_NOLAThanks Ralf.
    Where exactly is the Traveller sector importer, or how do I access it? I want to make sure that it is in my Cosmo3 instalation.
    I ran redownloaded Update 9 again to check the fix of the meadows. Still are having those two be messed up after running the patch.
    For the sector importer do New > Map Type Cosmographer > Traveller Sector Importer. If that map style isn't listed, the importer wasn't installed.

Serves me right for trying to do a quick fix on the weekend (wrong upload), retry Update 9 tomorrow.
  • I like the star chart SCRs. I'll be making my own based on those for my starship site. Thanks !

When I find the time, gee when do I sleep, I want to make a Cosmo 3 template that lets me show not only the star spectral class by type, but only the names of that specteral type shows up. At present you can hide a spectral class, but the star names for that spectral class still show on the map.

Yes folks, I do sleep every night. It may just seem as if I never sleep.
  • Posted By: Ralf
    Posted By: PeterGRalf,
    Yes, and we had quite a discussion internally about whether we should include this .Net 4 requirement. But the alternative would have been to have no Sector Importer at all - and we didn't like that. The compromise was to have the .Net requirement for this bit of extra fucntionality, but not make it necessary for the normal install.

Your quite right, the compromise you came up with works best.
    Thank you for the response.
  • 3 months later
  • pool7pool7 Traveler
    First of all, sorry to bring this one up again, but my question is related to this.
    When reinstalling Cosmographer 3 today, I also got the message saying that some feature were not installed due to not having the .NET FW 4 installed.
    My question is: do I really have to uninstall Cosmo 3, install .NET and then reinstall Cosmo 3?
    Or can I simply install .Net 4 and repair Cosmo 3? Would this work?

Thanks!
  • Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    Posted By: pool7First of all, sorry to bring this one up again, but my question is related to this.
    When reinstalling Cosmographer 3 today, I also got the message saying that some feature were not installed due to not having the .NET FW 4 installed.
    My question is: do I really have to uninstall Cosmo 3, install .NET and then reinstall Cosmo 3?
    Or can I simply install .Net 4 and repair Cosmo 3? Would this work?

Thanks!
    Sorry - I doubt it.
  • pool7pool7 Traveler
    To be honest that's not the kind of answer I'd consider acceptable, coming from the developer...
    Anyway; I did install .NET 4 and then tried to repair Cosmo 3 installation... it kept on asking me for the source folder for the installation. No matter which folder I chose, it wouldn't take it (I tried the temp directory where the installation files where extracted, the folder where I keep the installer itself, the folder in ProgramData, etc... no luck).
    PS: Yes, I'm on Win7 x64, did all this from and Administrator account, and Cosmo 3 (as well as al PF products) are installed to C:\apps.
    So apparently I'll have to uninstall Cosmo 3 and reinstall.

Would you mind checking if the repair functionality is working fine? Maybe it's something in my Windows...
    Also, when will the Traveller Sector Importer be available as a separate download? (not that I need it, but just wondering)

Thanks again.
    Posted By: pool7To be honest that's not the kind of answer I'd consider acceptable, coming from the developer...
    Anyway; I did install .NET 4 and then tried to repair Cosmo 3 installation... it kept on asking me for the source folder for the installation. No matter which folder I chose, it wouldn't take it (I tried the temp directory where the installation files where extracted, the folder where I keep the installer itself, the folder in ProgramData, etc... no luck).
    PS: Yes, I'm on Win7 x64, did all this from and Administrator account, and Cosmo 3 (as well as al PF products) are installed to C:\apps.
    So apparently I'll have to uninstall Cosmo 3 and reinstall.

Would you mind checking if the repair functionality is working fine? Maybe it's something in my Windows...
    Also, when will the Traveller Sector Importer be available as a separate download? (not that I need it, but just wondering)

Thanks again.
    I simply apologised, told you I thought it wouldn't work, and it didn't. I'm not really sure why that's not acceptable.

It's a pre-requisite of the installation of the Traveller Sector importer that .NET 4.0 be installed. "Repairing" the installation won't affect this. There is nothing to repair, because the component was not installed. The repair code is not something over which we have any control. The same thing would happen with any installation with a dependency written with our industry-standard installation software.

When Ralf returns from holiday next week, we'll add it as a separate installation.
  • pool7pool7 Traveler
    I'm sorry Simon; it's just that your answer was too short and it seemed illogical to me that the developer could not confirm this (i.e. no testing was done).
    Thanks for the explanation, and again, I'm sorry for being rude; I know you guys do an excellent job.
    Posted By: pool7I'm sorry Simon; it's just that your answer was too short and it seemed illogical to me that the developer could not confirm this (i.e. no testing was done).
    Thanks for the explanation, and again, I'm sorry for being rude; I know you guys do an excellent job.
    No problem. We don't think of everything, so I just made an educated guess. .NET issue are tricky, though backwards compatibilty is at least an option now.