Multiple text layers?

This is frustrating the hell out of me. In CC2, objects would stay on whichever layer you put them, whether that was the right layer or not. This so-called "Smart Symbol" stuff puts everything on the correct layer, which is a big problem.

For my map, I want one layer of geographic map labels, and one layer of political map labels. In the past, I would put the geographic labels on the land symbols layer and the political labels on the politics layer. Now, CC3 lumps them all together on one layer named "text".

At this point, my only option appears to be to delete the text layer, print two copies of the map and label everything by hand. It looks tacky, and that's not right.

Comments

• That's odd. My installation puts the text on the current layer.

If you mean Sheet, then under File>Drawing Properties, you can change the Sheet that text goes to.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Also note that CC3 sees the sheet name as a prefix, so if you make new text sheets named "TEXT POLITICAL" and "TEXT GEOGRAPHIC", you can just switch to the correct sheet before placing the text, and CC3 will place them on the current sheet, because it starts with "TEXT" (If you switch to a sheet that has a name that does NOT start with "TEXT", CC3 will default to the regular "TEXT" sheet)

Also, remember that you can use CC3's 'Change Properties' tool to move entities (including text) to another sheet and/or layer. So even if you end up placing them on the wrong sheet/layer, all you have to do is to click on change properties, select all the pieces of text you wish to move, and move it to the appropriate sheet/layer. This is a quick process, unless you have hundreds of labels (If you have, create all the labels of one type first, since then you can select everything on the layer at once instead of individually)
  • Sheets are items in charge.

background or land sheet
    text
    text geographical
    text political
    map border

You could also have the same names on layers.

But the sheets determines what gets drawn on top of what.

I generally put text on both layer text and sheet text.
  • Sorry. I thought sheets and layers were the same thing. o 0
  • Nope, completely different.