Increasing Canvas Size (wrong terminology I'm sure)

Hey guys,

Previously I was using photoshop for map creation but I've switched over to CC3. I tried searching the forum for extending canvas size etc to no avail. Evidently I'm not using the right words for CC3.

Anyhow, how do I create more blank space on the edges of my map without starting over again with a new template size?

Any help much appreciated,

Stefan ZBB

Comments

• i *think* what you need to look for is to do with Map Border...i cant rember extactyl how you do it but that might help
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited August 2010
    sorry, too tired to type this up correctly. Deleted what i did type earlier.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    The canvas size in CC3 is basically unlimited. If you try, you'll notice that you can zoom far out and place symbols far outside the map border. Actually, the map boarder is just a regular drawing entity.
    (Note that while you can draw basic shapes and place symbols outside the map border, you cannot use drawing tools, as they restrict themselves to operate inside the map border)

So, to get more drawing space, you can either:
    1. Delete the current map border (all the entities on the MAP BORDER layer), and draw a new one.
    2. or use the scale command to enlarge the current map border (again all the entities on the MAP BORDER layer.
    3. or delete the current map border, create a new map with the size you want, and then copy the map border from that new map over to your old one.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    A way to resize the canvas easily (similar to the size option in the template wizard) is on our wish list.

Meanwhile, I'd recommend the following method (especially for maps with a wide border):

1. Hide all layers but the ones you want to resize. That would normally be MAP BORDER, BACKGROUND, and SCREEN (if present).
    2. Make sure the shown layers are not frozen.
    3. Activate the GRID at a suitable size, or - if you are not concerned about exact numbers for the size - use ORTHO.
    4. Use STRETCH (Edit > Reshape > Stretch) to move the upper border of the map to your new size.
    5. Again use STRETCH to move the right border to your new size.

Comments:
    - Moving the top and right hand borders preserves the origin (0,0) in the lower-left corner.
    - Using this method you can resize all the relevant layers at once.
    - STRETCH has the advantage over SCALE that the resize can be different for the x and the y axis.
    - STRETCH has the advantage over SCALEXY that it preserves the width of a wide map border.
    - The disadvantage is that a pattern within a decorative map border might get distorted.
  • Hmm... If there was a way to, after hidding and freezing everything but the map border layer, mouse drag one corner of the map border frame and have it scale up would be great.