Fractal Terrain + Campaign Cartographer question

I was wondering what the process is/would be to create a world in FT and then import segments of that map into CC3. One question would be how I could zoom in or expand the sections from FT into CC3. I'm hoping that this is so easy which is why I've not seen it answered or asked previously.

Thanks.

Comments

• I think someone has a tutorial on that.

Myself, I use FT to create islands, I export the bmp of that map. Then I insert that bmp into a surface map template and draw the island in CC3. So mine is indirect.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    The basic procedure for doing this is to
    1. Export the world from FT (File -> Save CC2 file)
    2. Open the map in CC3, and zoom in to the section you want, create a new map border, then delete everything outside that border (Use the Break, Split and Trim tools to trim lines that crosses the new border, just simply delete everything else that is completely outside)
    3. Use the Fractalise tool on the coastline to increase complexity (making it more detailed). You can also use the node manipulation functions to add/delete/move singular nodes to change the shape
  • 2 months later
  • I'm only a beginner, but I've found that zooming into the area you want in Fractal Terrains and then doing a "Save As CC2..." will export only the bit that you've zoomed in on, and give you as much detail as Fractal Terrains can manage. This is fine for large scale maps of countries, continents etc. If you want something more detailed like a < 250km square area then the detail is missing from Fractal Terrains, at least at the settings I use. I imagine the above technique would be okay for coastlines and countour regions but possibly not contour lines...
  • Monsen - I want your permission to include those statements in the Terraformer User's Manual, I'm writing it now.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Sure. Those are just basic FT instructions anyway, not exactly a creative work, so feel free.