Question re: Rendering Images in JPG

Hey all,

I just purchased Dungeon Designer 3 and have gone through the Sweeney tutorial. It was a fantastic intro to the software. The only problem I'm having is that the image that I see after I render the map isn't nearly as detailed as it is in CC3. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. The rendered image looks very pixalated and lacks the detail that I can see exists when I zoom in while in CC3. Any suggestions on how I can get a higher rendering or am I missing a key step?

Thanks,

Comments

• Don't use jpg, a lossy format, use bmp or png. Much better.

Also make sure whatever you are looking at the graphic file in, isn't shrinking it when it displays the graphic file.
  • Jim,

Thanks for the advice. I tried creating the image in .bmp and .png. Both look the exact same. I opened them up in Photoshop just to make sure there wasn't a compression issue and there wasn't. I don't know what is going on, but the image that is rendered is significantly less detailed as what I am seeing in CC3.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Have you set the export size sufficiently high? Click "Options" after you've selected the file type and adjust the export dimensions upward if the export isn't detailed enough.

Hope that helps.
  • I wasn't talking about compression, but the graphic file resolution. I don't know if it is affecting what you see or not, but sometimes Internet Explorer on my computer will show a file as 75% of actual, 61% of actual, etc.

Likely I am way off on thinking that was your problem.
  • Ralt: I've used both .bmp and .png file types. For .bmp I'm using 24 bit and for .png I'm using maximum. I have been told on another forum that I need to increase my pixels per square foot ratio from 50:5 to a higher number, but I'm not exactly sure how to do that. The only thing I can assume is that the file compression is so significant that I'm losing a ton of resolution even with using the maximum settings. I looked at the help file and didn't see any information on this.
  • sdavies2720sdavies2720 Traveler
    edited June 2010
    Posted By: GrainRalt: I've used both .bmp and .png file types. For .bmp I'm using 24 bit and for .png I'm using maximum. I have been told on another forum that I need to increase my pixels per square foot ratio from 50:5 to a higher number, but I'm not exactly sure how to do that. The only thing I can assume is that the file compression is so significant that I'm losing a ton of resolution even with using the maximum settings. I looked at the help file and didn't see any information on this.
    CC3 can export at high resolution. Most likely there is a setting that is off and we just haven't collectively found it yet.

The first place to look: When you select "Save As:", select the export format (let's say "PNG Bitmap File"). There is an option button in the lower right corner of the dialog box. When you click on it, what are the Maximum Image Dimensions listed?

Steve
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Hm... let's try to explain this a bit. There are two different things to consider pixel dimensions and image resolution, usually expressed as dpi - dots per inch.

CC3 exports at a fixed resolution: 72 dpi, the standard value for computer graphics. You can change the dpi value in an external image editor like Photoshop, Irfanview, etc. Common values for printing are 150 or 300dpi.

The dpi value does not matter for display on the computer screen, only for printing. Display on the screen is only affected by the pixel dimension. This is adjustable through the CC3 Options dialog. Exporting to something like 4000x3000 pixels will usually result in a very good image, too large for on-screen display (the standard monitor nowadays has someting like 1600x1050 pixel), but well-suited to printing.

Does that clear things up? As Steve asks, what are you using for the dimensions in your CC3 export?
  • That has to be what is going on. I was using 1300x900. If I increase that then I should hopefully increase the image clarity. I read that one option is to create a large image...say 4000x3000 and then use Photoshop or some other image editor to scale the image down to something more manageable. That way you retain the high image resolution, but aren't creating enormous maps that are difficult to transfer through a VTT.

The question I have is how to do this. Do you simply choose "rectangular .png", type in 4000x3000 into the pixel dimensions and then select a portion of the map that is less than that amount...(say 1300x900)?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: GrainThe question I have is how to do this. Do you simply choose "rectangular .png", type in 4000x3000 into the pixel dimensions and then select a portion of the map that is less than that amount...(say 1300x900)?
    Basically yes, but the original CC3 map is not measured in pixels. You use rectangular selection and select whatever size part of the map you need, and the part you select will be rendered to an image of the pixel dimensions you specify.
    If your selection rectangle does not have the same aspect ratio as the pixel dimensions you select, the resulting image will be cropped, resulting in an image that fits your pixel dimesions perfectly in one direction, and cropped in the other to match the aspect ratio.
  • I did this last night and it worked! You are right about the images being large so I'm going to have to find a proper negotiated settlement between size and resolution, but at least the image didn't look completely pixalated like the previous version. I was pretty happy with the results. Thanks again!