Cutting a zoomed in map?

A newbie here,

Is there an easier way to "cut" a zoomed in portion of your landmass than is explained here: http://forum.profantasy.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=927&page=1#Item_18. I'm hoping there's been an update for CC3 since 2009 (when this discussion was posted). The tutorial mentioned there looks intimidating for this rookie map-maker.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Comments

• First method: 'Save as' and select 'rectangular section'. You can it as bmp, jpg, or png.

Type in the filename, click okay, Click the mouse on your map upper left corner, click on bottom lower right corner, release mouse. Done.

Second method is to zoom in, and draw a new map border. Freezing and hiding layers, remove anything outside the new map border. Done.
  • Thanks for the reply. And forgive me if these are stupid questions--I'm a little slow:

First method, I saved as you suggested; however, I'm finding that it simply saves the file as a zoomed in map section which is still just a copy of the previous map (i.e. I zoom out and its the big map again...and if I print it's still the BIG map). What I'm trying to do is make a small section copy so I can work with THAT in detail and print out--basically, I'm creating a new map with more detail).

Second method, can you tell me how to draw a new map border? I can't find the command, and the HELP section only talks about political borders.

Appreciate the help!
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: halftardSecond method, can you tell me how to draw a new map border? I can't find the command, and the HELP section only talks about political borders.
    A map border is simply an entity on the "MAP BORDER" layer. There is no special way to do it, a regular rectangle will do it.
    If you want a "pretty" border, you can just resize the existing map border with the Scale [SCA] command. Just remember to thaw the "Map BORDER" layer first, to be able to work with it.
  • 10 days later
  • paulpaul Newcomer
    I have just found this subject, and found it very useful. I wanted to cut a section from a large map and create a new map with it. I did it following the above instructions.

The new map does not have a "border" or "frame" around it. I have read Monsen's reply dated 14 June, but dont really understand it. I assume that eh "pretty" border he refers to is the "frame" border you find when you create any map?

If so could you please explain "you can just resize the existing map border with the Scale [SCA] command. Just remember to thaw the "Map BORDER" layer first, to be able to work with it."

How do I use the Scale (SCA) command?

How do I "thaw the map border layer"?
    ThomasHendrich
  • For layers, look on the upper right of CC3. You will see several small windo areas. L: is the layer one. Click on that rectangle. The 'Select Layer' requestor popsup. Thaw the border layer. Now you can move, rotate, etc. the map border.

scalexy is the command to scale something in both x and y dimensions.

but using hide layer, freeze layer, thaw layer, show layer, you can show one layer at a time, and do things to it.

As an example. i look at one of my surface maps and I find one area doesn't tough the edge of the map border.

I hide every layer except that area and the map border. i freeze the map layer.

I then use the edit node commands to move the edge of the area up to the map border.

I 'save as' a sequence of filenames often.

I then show all layers to check it.

if i still see area edge problems, back into thne fray I go.
  • paulpaul Newcomer
    I have tried to follow your instructions, but it did not work.

I clicked on the top right window with "L:MAP BORDER" on it.
    I got a pop up with "Layer" on it.
    I clicked on the left hand box of the line "MAP BORDER" which darkened that line.
    I then clicked on "Thaw All"
    I then clicked on "OK"

But nothing seemed to happen. I was not able to move the border with the cursor.

What have I done wrong?
  • The map border is in several pieces. Here is how to grab and move all of it.

After you click okay as above.

type the word drag and press the enter key

the command line lower part of CC3 will change to Select Entities (O picked0[Dialog]:

Click the cursor upper left of the map border, click lower right outside of the map border.

The map border will turn gray.

Right click and select 'Do It' from the menu.

The command line should change to 'Drag from':

Click somewhere on the map border, release the mouse button. Drag it to the mouse cursor to the new location.

Click the mouse.

You have now moved the map border.

From your previous post it looked to me you wanted to know how to thaw the map border so you could rescale it.
  • paulpaul Newcomer
    Hi JimP

Thanks for your reply. I have been able to move the map border, but not achieve what I wanted to do.

I was trying to take a section from a map of all of Spain and create a map of the area around Madrid, but with more detail because it has "zoomed in". I managed to do this, but it did not have a map border. So I was trying to create a map border.

Following your instructions I managed to move the border, but the map was still of all of Spain.

thanks for your help, but it seems to be too complicated for a simple soul like me!
  • Well, you can trim everything outside the map border if the map border has been shrunk to be outside Madrid.

There is yet another way due to the versatility of CC3.

I have a detailed tutorial: large map to small map

Good Luck !

If you need me to explain anything, just ask. Someone else might beat me to the explanation though. Its increased experience in Everquest this weekend and I want to level up some of my characters.