Place Names

I am making a map of Europe but when I put a road on it covers the town names. Is it possible to make the road show under the name?

The same thing happens if I put a name on a contour. As soon as I press refresh the name disappears.

Any help appreciated

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited May 2010
    Sounds like your TEXT sheet is too early in the drawing order. Click the Sheets and Effects button, find your TEXT sheet(s), and move them further down in the list (The sheets near the bottom of the list is drawn last, and thus drawn on top of the objects on the sheets higher up the list. You'll want your TEXT sheet(s) placed close to the bottom). Once done, click OK and hit redraw, and the text should appear above the other entities.

If this doesn't work, make sure that your text is on the TEXT sheet by using the LIST command on it. If it is not on the TEXT sheet, use the Move to Sheet or Change Properties command to move it to the TEXT sheet.
  • paulpaul Newcomer
    Thanks Monsen, that has solved the problem.
  • Another thread was discussing interface issues and then I just read this post. This is a prime example of a simple interface fix that would make the interface more intuitive. Currently, sheets are "inverted" with respect to the user's expectations: in our mind, we translate the list of sheets into a physical model with one sheet on top of the other, we don't think of it as the "drawing order". Listing the sheets so that they correspond to their "physical" position in the "pile" could go a long way to simplifying things and being more logical!

Gavin
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Good suggestion. I'm quite happy with the order myself, but I can see how changing this would make things more logical without having to know the inner workings of the software.
  • SkidAceSkidAce Traveler
    edited May 2010
    Hey gak, not that there is a wrong way or a right way, but switching them around would confuse me.

I see it as overlays (I do planning maps for base defense etc.) so the 1st one (in the list) is on the bottom (of the drawing), then the next one goes on top of it, so on and so on.

Folks like me could be in the minority though.
  • While i have no problem with the present sheet order in CC3, I can learn changes. i have used so much software over the past 25 years as a tech.
  • Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    Posted By: gakAnother thread was discussing interface issues and then I just read this post. This is a prime example of a simple interface fix that would make the interface more intuitive. Currently, sheets are "inverted" with respect to the user's expectations: in our mind, we translate the list of sheets into a physical model with one sheet on top of the other, we don't think of it as the "drawing order". Listing the sheets so that they correspond to their "physical" position in the "pile" could go a long way to simplifying things and being more logical!
    This is an arbitrary choice - it's simply how the sheets are listed in the Sheets dialog box, currently, the order in which they are drawn. So, when you say "we" don't think of it as drawing order, you mean "you" don't think of it as the drawing order. One thing we find as developers is that when people say "users would prefer", they mean "I would prefer." The latter is much more useful feedback, because we hear from many users, with many different opinions.

It may be that a majority of users would prefer it to be listed as you suggest, but if that is the case, it hasn't come up in many years of beta testing, and it's not a change we'd make lightly.
  • Just to throw in my 2 copper on this...I like it how it is. The list being in "drawing order" just makes sense.
  • I'd like it so the sheets on top of the picture stack are on top of the list.