Creating a new symbol from one I just made?

I've been trying to figure this out, but it doesn't seem to work. I have created a large fountain symbol from a number of other symbols in one of my city maps. I would like to turn it into a full symbol (one I can access from a menu instead of always having to recreate all the parts together). Is it possible to select all the various parts (it has a 5' wall around it, a central round thatch roof and some long wooden bracers, with water in the middle) and then turn it into a .png symbol than can then be accessed from one of the CD menus or user menu? thanks :)

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Check out the chapter on symbol management in the CC3 manual (pages 54-63). It explains how to create and manage symbols. The process is the same if you draw it from scratch, or use existing parts
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    If you've put several existing symbols together to create a new one, make sure you Explode all of them before defining the new one. Otherwise you'll have nested symbol definitions, which is Not A Good Thing(tm).
  • For some reasons, the Define Symbols command doesn't always work for me. The selected entities disappear as expected but the symbol usually doesn't show in the symbol manager. To circumvent that, I use Clipcopy on the target entities, open the Symbol Manager (Symbol menu), use New button. After typing the name of the new symbol, you must click twice on the main window to define a new map area where you paste the entities. And yes, as Ralf said, don't forget to explode if needed, but you can do it after pasting in that case.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    New symbols don't show up right away in the symbol manager, if the entities weren't on the Common sheet to start with. Quick workaround: After defining the symbol, close and re-open CC3. The new symbol will now appear in the Symbol Manager.