Blur effect unexpected... (and some other effect weird behaviours)

Hello all!

I'm working on a simple map and I end trying to mask some effects "side effect": I got a stone room that is shaded and I want to hide the exit border. To achieve that, I first draw my room on its sheet and then on another sheet above, I draw a big polygon that overlaps the end of my exit corridor:

Then I apply some "Edge Fade, Inner" effect:

All seems OK and I show other sheets (background, back text, symbols...):

Then I activate sheet effects:

==> You can there notice a strange thing: the big "mask" polygon is hiding the border shadow (normal effect) BUT the exit corridor is presenting small scrathes instead of being hidden like on the second image above!

==> The "side effect I speak at the begining: you can notice the strange border of the map... I used parchment template and it is not the usual look...

Then I unzoom:

We notice that the exit is now technically hidden as I wish, but the border is still strange...

I unzoom again:

And then we can see there is a big problem with the border...

After some try, I hide "BACKGROUND STAINS" sheet (that does not present any thing) and the final result comes out:

(Full size)
(but again, you can see that my "mask" is no more masking the exit end...

Am I drunk, or is there around someone that is facing the same issue?

I attached my original file, for fun and for guys that want a try ;) (find it here, in fact:
Barbacier.fcw)

Best regards,

Paul

Comments

• I'm not sure why it's producing those results -- by including the map, the PF folks can take a look.

You might change the effect on the floor mask from Edge Fade Inner to Edge Fade -- I got better results that way
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    The Edge Fade Inner effect can be very peculiar when combined with transparency and glow effects. I'd simply avoid it here (I think it looks good with the effect simply turned off).

The problems withe the BACKGROUND STAINS sheet came from a copy of the effect settings entity being on that sheet. This can sometimes happen and results in strange effects. I removed it and the problem went away. In the attached version I also enlarged the screen polygon to cover your outside glow and the text beyond the border.
  • Hello !

Thanks to take time to help me!

Actually, I just can't get any result with Edge Fade (nothing happens, whatever the setting).

Thanks to have enlarged the screen sheet, even if when exporting, the "crop to map border" works perfectly :)

I'll check for future maps to prevent effects copy and related issue, then :)

Thanks for all!

Regards,

Paul
  • Hoy!

BTW, if someone can tell me why Edge Fade does not work in that case, I would greatly appreciate... In CC3 documentation samples about effects, it seems that Edge Fade works only with solid polys... and Edge Fade, Inner is for Textured Polys... It is what I understand from the examples... :p

Thanks all,

Regards,

Paul.