Inserting one map into another

I find that when I am attempting to insert a smaller map into a larger one I am still restricted by the area of the smaller map. ie. When I insert the small map I can only draw on it's space, the additional space of the old map is no longer useable. Any have any sugestions?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    This is due to entities on the MAP BORDER layer. All drawing tools stop at the first entity on the map border they encounter. The map you are inserting probably has it's own entities on the MAP BORDER layer, which causes this behavior.
    The simple fix is to hide all layers except MAP BORDER, then erase all entities in the middle of the map, as these are the inserted ones.
  • Alright your suggestion worked. Now I am facing another obstical. After I plug in the old map the scale is different. I have tried to use the help file but it didn't help at all. How to I match the scale to the old map.

I can't read PDFs at my location, a description of what to do would be super appreciated. Thankyou.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    CC3 will insert the map at it's original scale. So as long as both maps were crated using the same scale (default for overland maps is 1 mile = 1 map unit), the inserted map will appear at the proper scale.
    If your maps are not in the same scale, you can either re-size the map upon insertion, by holding down the ctrl key and dragging the mouse while you are in the process of placing the inserted map, or you can resize one of the map beforehand. The best way to see if a map is in a proper scale is to use the distance tool (Info -> Distance) to measure some know distance on your maps. If the value that appears is not correct, then your map isn't scaled properly, and you should re-scale it.
    A simple way of doing this is to show and thaw ALL layers, then right click on the Scale button, selecting "non-visual scale", hitting "a" to select all entities in your map, then "d" for "Do It". CC3 will now prompt you for the scale factor. Enter your true distance from above divided by the measured distance and the map should be rescaled to an appropriate size. (You can either do the calculation yourself and type in the resulting number, or just enter the calculation itself directly at the prompt. CC3 will handle either)