Symbols don't scale with map

I've used CC for a while, but never tried to make a "world" sized-map (~24000x24000-ish). All is going fine until I go to add mountain ranges when I realize these mountains are freaking HUGE.. even the small ones scale to 100's of miles wide.

Why would symbols not scale to the ratio of the map? What settings can I use so a moutain range is scaled correctly?

Keep in mind, my scale is huge so |----|------|-----| = about 2k miles ... that's as big as some of the mountain ranges.. its way off!

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Symbols are scaled by default to be larger the larger the map is. This is done for visibility issues. On a world map, a mountain range usually looks better when represented by only a couple of mountain symbols, while the same mountain range would be perhaps 10+ symbols on a zoomed in continental map. Using too small symbols on a map often leads too it looking to busy or crowded.

That said, you can change the default symbol scale as you please. Just go to File -> Drawing properties, and set your desired scale (the default is map width divided by 1000). You can also change the scale when placing a symbol, by right clicking in the map after selecting the symbol, but before placing it. CC3 remembers the scale set here until you open a new map, or close/reopen CC3, or load a new symbol catalog, so whatever you set here will temporarily override the default symbol scale.