Customizing your CC3 Work Environment

I see a lot of discussions of folks returning or new folks asking questions. And yes I am one of those "returning". I have used CC since the "Dos days" and been involved in many of the mapping projects like the FR Atlas. I had a very customized menu and symbol setup for CC2, using scripts and macros.

When CC3 came, I purchased everything (annuals included), but did not try to change my menus or symbol catalogs. Now, as I am getting back into more serious symbol and mapping creation I want to customize my menu, templates, and symbol cats again. I was going to start with the templates and menus I had for CC2, but I wanted to check if anyone else had done the same.

I have a good understanding of how CC2 works and a "basic" on how CC3 works, but I wanted to check if anyone has any recommendations or "gottas" they could provide. Like "don't use this script or macro because the sheets effects do not work" or you really must have this directory and files here now.

anyone have any recommendations?

Comments

• sdavies2720sdavies2720 Traveler
    edited February 2010
    Unfortunately I don't have advice for you, and frankly I'm not sure there is a lot that will help. I've kept using CC3 all along, but basically used the vector symbols, my old templates, and started out ignoring many of the features of CC3. But then I wanted to do a Fenlon map, and the inner fades were really helpful for political boundaries, and I was pulled into the new world.

I suggest you keep doing what you're doing (I suffered a little 'mappers block' when I felt like had to master everything on my next map and couldn't move forward), and start adding things as you want them. If you're not satisfied with your current mapping style, you'll have to invest some time in finding a new one (or borrowing one from the annuals).

But cc3 works as cc2 just with more capabilities.
  • Thanks. That is exactly what I encoutered. I wanted to have everything updated and master everything like I had in CC2, to the point that I was overwhelmed and just stopped for about a year because I just did not know where to start.

I am doing exactly what you are suggesting as a start and just starting to map again. It is painful in some areas because I am not taking advantage of the all the new features or a button/feature I just before is not there or does not work the way I had it on my CC2 setup. That is why I wanted to ask if anyone had encountered the same.

But to your point, I am going to just pick a map or a style I like and get moving and as I find something I used before (like a macro or script) I will take the time to get it working again, adjust it, or ask.

I think my two starting points are adjusting my vector symbols that I made to work better with CC3 and updating the menu to the features I like.

I think I get caught when I see the new mapping styles and features, and think it would be cool to update my templates and style to this or that...but then I get lost on where to start.
  • Posted By: Repeater07I think I get caught when I see the new mapping styles and features, and think it would be cool to update my templates and style to this or that...but then I get lost on where to start.
    That IS a real problem, and I feel your pain. And if you're like me, you want a map mostly like one style, but with a feature or two of that other, but then there aren't enough symbols...

I've finally gotten mostly through the block, but it's only by doing what you're doing -- getting started, adding one new thing on a map, and keeping moving forward.

I look forward to seeing some of your maps!
    Steve