Creating specific sized maps.

Hi.

I just started looking at useing CC3. My boss wants me to build maps for printing out, but they need to be in specific sizes (mostly 11x17). I dont see any buttons or any options in CC3 that allow me to specify a starting size of my map. Is it possible to do this? Also, I dont see what the print resolution would be, or if it can be changed...I normally like to start making maps in Photoshop at 300DPI, and I start with a specific size of canvas, so I know it will fit onto a 11x17 or 8.5x11 sheet of paper.

Any help you can give me would be appreciated, as this software package looks to be just what we need- except for this.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    CC3 maps aren't measured in print sizes, but rather in km/mile/feet/meters according to the real area the map covers.
    When printing, a CC3 map will automatically be scaled to the paper size you are using (Or to a specified scale if you specify), using the appropriate dpi your printer. Since CC3 is based on vector graphics, this doesn't have the same issue as scaling a raster image, like one you might make in photoshop. The raster components of CC3 (most new symbols, as well as fill styles), are already existing files anyway, and their print resolution is not dependent on your map size.

The starting size of your map is specified in the new map wizard dialog. Just make sure to select the option "decide settings myself" in the first new map dialog. The size you set is in map units, an abstract unit that represents one of the above mentioned units, depending on the type of map you are using. If you plan on printing it to an 11x7 sheet of paper, you should make sure the aspect ratio of your map is correct, but the actual values should represent the real area covered by your map. If you are making battle maps, it is common to print 5' = 1 inch, so in that case, you should probably set up your map using something like 50x30 (Margins taken into account)