Making it work with Mac?

Hi All,

I've been using ProFantasy stuff for ages but I've switched to Mac and don't know what to do. I know there are a few ways to run windows programs on a Mac, but since this is the only Windows software I anticipate running I wanted to make sure it's going to work. Has anyone here tried it or does anyone just know the way to go?

Thanks,
Chad

Comments

• Jeff BJeff B Betatester 🖼️ 37 images Surveyor
    I use VMware Fusion and run XP or Windows 7. It runs better under VMWare then it did when I had it on a PC
  • I use bootcamp to run it in a native windows enviroment, works like a charm :)
  • suntzusuntzu Betatester Traveler
    it works with crossover games as well , but install is a bit of a problem as it throws up a few errors but if you do get it installed it works like a charm

Rob
  • 9 months later
  • Posted By: suntzuit works with crossover games as well , but install is a bit of a problem as it throws up a few errors but if you do get it installed it works like a charm

Rob
    Rob-

Can you let me know what you did to get it running in crossover please. Thanks.
    --Doc
    ok here's how i do it now ,
    1.firstly i install everything on an virtual machine like parallels or vmware and test it to make sure everything is working

2.then i create a new bottle on crossover , then go to "c:/program files" within that bottle

3.then with mac finder open at that position and the emulator running i copy over the profantasy directory complete into the mac finder window ( note you must allow the mac to see the emulator and visversa or you will not be allowed to mount your virtual drive , this will take a little while depending on how much data you have in that directory

4. you will then need to use crossover to add the cc3.exe program to its menu so go to the crossover menu and at the bottom of the programs drop down there is a menu called "run command" click this and you will be presented with a mini finder menu which you need to navigate to the cc3.exe located inside the crossover bottle , this will then be added to the crossover menu and you can run it as you would on windows

5. there is a little problem with fonts under crossover so here is a better way to run it , if you go to http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/ and get wine bottler this is a slightly different from crossover but very similar in how you setup cc3 and does seam to remove the bug with crossover fonts .

6. you will need to keep your profantasy virtual machine as it is the best way of keeping it updated , generally on the whole i would say most of the profantasy stuff works but there are a few issues

7. hope i dont get into trouble with profantasy for writing this , if they don't like it then please remove this

Rob
    just another little note for those using the wine bottler , if you have installed annuals and don't see all of them , you might need to delete and rebuild the config files , this is done by opening winebottler and deleting the reference to campaign cartographer , then to rebuild just restart the app , well thats what i need to do on my mac and it does take a little while so be patient

Rob
  • I actually got CC3 and DD3 to install without any problems right out of the box with Crossover pro. The trick was that I created a separate XP bottle, and then installed the runtime MS Runtime 2008+. That's it. Installed right from my mac desktop and have not had a problem since. It is wonderful.
  • 13 days later
  • I use Parallels - works very well and runs quickly. The big advantage over Bootcamp is the ability to drag and drop stuff between the two operating systems seamlessly.
  • 4 months later
  • Posted By: gakI use Parallels - works very well and runs quickly. The big advantage over Bootcamp is the ability to drag and drop stuff between the two operating systems seamlessly.
    Any chance you can put up an "idiot" proof guide to how to install it using Parallels? I'm considering useing Parallels on my Mac (longtime PC user, first time Mac - and I ain't ever going back to PC) as CC3 is the only Windows program I anticipate running.

Thanks!

Vince
  • Not quite sure how to make it all idiot-proof to be honest, Vince, since it's just a basic installation process like any other.

- Buy and install Parallels.

- Create a virtual machine on Parallels and install Windows (probably from your old PC, having decommissioned it). You can also simply transfer your existing PC set-up to Parallels - see page 72 of the Parallels user guide.

- Install CC3 on the virtual machine as you would on a PC. Make Parallels the active app, insert the CD/DVD, and install as normal.

You're guided through each of these three steps, so it should be difficult to go wrong!

I have a folder defined on the Mac side for sharing files between the two systems: this is where I put, for example, the monthly downloads from the PF Annual. Keeps things tidy.
  • Thanks Gak that helps, only problem is I only own CC3 as download files, not DVD's. Will that prove to be an issue to install through this virtual machine thing? Still all so very new to this whole Mac thing (though loving every minute of it!)
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 51 images Cartographer
    That shouldn't be a problem. I don't know much about Mac's or Parallels specifically, but every virtual machine solution I have touched allows some method of moving files from the physical machine to the virtual machine, which allows you to transfer the installer to the virtual machine and running it there. gak also confirmed this is true for Parallels if you read the very last line in his post.
  • Posted By: KalanThanks Gak that helps, only problem is I only own CC3 as download files, not DVD's. Will that prove to be an issue to install through this virtual machine thing? Still all so very new to this whole Mac thing (though loving every minute of it!)
    That won't be a problem at all (the Annuals are downloads as well). Just copy the installer .exe files into the shared folder, launch Parallels (which will launch the Windows virtual machine) and then navigate to the shared folder and double-click the installer(s).

It should also be noted that when you quit Parallels you do not have to shut down your Windows session - it can be left in a suspended state so that the next time you start Parallels, it will simply carry on as if nothing had happened.

You can also backup your virtual machine using the Mac - as far as it's concerned, it's just another file. Albeit a big one (around 28Gb in my case).
  • Thank you both for your help and support! I think this has convinced me now :)

Thanks again!
  • 1 year later
  • 9 years later
  • ThomasHendrichThomasHendrich Traveler
    edited November 2021

Thanks everyone for helping me understand my options for installing ProFantasy on my Mac. @suntzu and others who use Parallels - D0 you need to buy a new license of Win 10?

• I ended up installing in Bootcamp partition due to upgrading to BigSur messing up Crossover19. I downloaded the Windows 10 ISO file from Microsoft and installed it WITHOUT activating it, i.e. without buying a license. It runs fine but occasionally asks me to activate the software. Not sure if that will help with Parellels...

ThomasHendrich