Is CA 213 just a collection of already existing symbols?

I downloaded the latest annual. It all looks like symbols that exist or are part of the monthly free symbols. Am I wrong about that and these are new symbols?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 51 images Cartographer
    edited September 3

Haven't looked at it myself, but I think so. The description states

In the September issue of the Annual 2024 we take a look at, use and reference all the different free monthly overland symbols that have been released over the last two and a half years.

This annual is labeled as a map pack, meaning it is the map and the guide that is actual the content of the annual, not the symbols. According to the list of contents, it doesn't even include any symbols at all, it just reference the existing free symbols you have already installed.

• Mmmm. Lovely map, but a bit disappointing as an annual. Hope we aren't running out of ideas for annuals. Perhaps we need to start a thread with annual ideas again.

And where is Gwynnin?

MapjunkieScottA
  • Quenten, while it is a pretty map those were my thoughts as well.

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 51 images Cartographer

The annual isn't intended to just be 12 issues of new artwork. As stated on the product page:

Each month, subscribers get a mini add-on to CC3+. It might be a new drawing style, a new set of symbols, a collection of maps, or set of tools to tackle a specific drawing type.

While maps are not the most common of issues, if you look back at previous years, you'll find that there is indeed a collection of various map issues sprinkled among the years.

Different kind of issues bring different values to different people. A nice map with a detailed description is great for improving one's map-making skills and learn new ways of doing things, and may even be used as a ready to go map for an adventure.

LoopysueRoyal ScribeScottAWyvern
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker

Like Monsen says, we try to incorporate a variety of different things into the Annual. This month's is along the lines of last years "City under siege" map pack for example.

But by all means start up a new "Ideas for the Annual" thread, such brainstorms are always welcome. Don't hesitate to suggest artist as well, if you think their work may be suitable.

QuentenLoopysueRoyal Scribe