SS5 and B&W Cities

I am trying to make a B&W city. I only see two options for that. I checked the annual list, and I also only saw two options. I do have SS5 and it has the label is Color. I do not have any others installed. So, is there a B&W option that should have been installed as well?

I am not really liking any of the two city options at the moment for what I want.

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited July 17

It's been a while since I played with SS5, but I remember one way of turning the map to greyscale was to add an RGB Matrix Process to the Whole Drawing and pick the Gray preset for it.

The fact that the folder is called Color doesn't mean there is a black and white version.

Here is a shot of one of the example maps with the RGB Matrix Process added.

I've just noticed that you may have to change the shade of the glow on the text sheet to the palest grey to stop bits of the letters falling out when they are over black parts of the map.

Theoretically, you should be able to turn any style to greyscale using the same method, but I've not tried any of the others.

JulianDracosDon Anderson Jr.
  • Thanks. That might work. I am looking for an "ink" style. I tried the matrix on a different style. I will see how it looks with SS5. I am currently messing with the effects on the Par Linstrom to see if I can get an ink effect with that.

If you mess around with the settings a bit you might get better contrast.

Needing an ink effect it's probably best to start with something like Mike Schley because it already has the required ink lines around the symbols.

You could alternativly use a Colorize effect on the Whole Drawing. Crank the saturation to zero and the lightness to maximum.