Basic (?) questions

Placing symbols is fairly simple. Click on the symbol I want in the palette, then click where I want it on the canvas. Shift+mouse to rotate it, control+mouse to adjust size.

How can I adjust the size to a precise value though? Sliding the mouse results in a fuzzy level of precision.

Once I've placed a symbol, how can I select it in order to move it, rotate it, or shrink/grow it?

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited July 8

If you right click in the drawing when you have the symbol on your crosshair you can scale it by a factor of the original size, either in both directions or individually in x and y.

The initial scale is the default set for the map - in this case 1.

If the symbol is already placed you can use the Scaleor Movetools on the left. Pick the tool, select the symbol, hit D on the keyboard for do it, click once to position the scale or move origin, then scale or move the symbol.

In the right click menu for the Move tool you will find Quick Move, which allows you to click anything and move it instantly.

• DaltonSpenceDaltonSpence Mapmaker
    The Scale and Move,Scale,Rotate commands seem to scale symbols relative to their current size. Is there a way to change the scale(s) of an existing symbol reference absolutely as per the above "Symbol Parameters" dialog box?
    Ashtagon
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker

You can "Scale Symbols in Map" from the Symbols menu, but that is still relative scaling.

You can't reset their scale absolutely. You'll need to use LIST to look at the current scale they are placed at and then calculate the new scale from that.

If you want to scale all references of a symbol you can scale via the Symbol Manager as well (basically scaling the symbol definition itself). But that will still scale relatively.

Loopysue
  • Is a macro command appropriate here? Drop a symbol at (0,0) with the chosen scale by typing it, and then move it afterward. I believe the command is "SYMBOL" but I always have trouble finding the documentation for those! I think one could type "SYMBOL" at a map and fill in the blanks.