Should I buy now or wait?

I used to use CC back in the days of DOS. I'm planning to get back to Campaign Cartographer, and use it commercially.

Am I right in thinking that the standard licence allows the use of any and all art assets provided to be used in a map that is made for commercial purposes? (Obviously, it's even better to make your own art assets, but if the program is commercially viable 'out of the box', that helps.)

Second, and much more important, I plan on relocating to a new country in the next few months. I understand the commercial licence only allows for the software to be installed on one computer at one location. Given that I expect I would be map-making both before and after that move, how does this interact with the commercial licence? Would I be better off waiting until after I relocate before buying the software?

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited July 1

Hi Ashtagon :)

The EULA can be found here. The first paragraph under the heading "Description of Rights and Limitations" might seem to infer that you are correct about the one computer situation when intending to publish your maps, but it is always worth contacting Profantasy Directly if you are in any doubt, or if your situation is rather unique.

Please use the contacts on this page.

jmabbott
  • JulianDracosJulianDracos Mapmaker

There is nothing in the EULA that says location. It just says one computer. So, if you take your computer with you, then it is fine. If you buy a new computer, then you need to uninstall it before you move and then install it on the new PC after the move.

jmabbottroflo1
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 51 images Cartographer

Am I right in thinking that the standard licence allows the use of any and all art assets provided to be used in a map that is made for commercial purposes? (Obviously, it's even better to make your own art assets, but if the program is commercially viable 'out of the box', that helps.)

Since those above didn't answer this, yes, this is how it works. You can make commercial maps out of the box with the standard license. and those maps can be utilizing any of the assets distributed with the program. Note that this is limited to publishing the maps you make with said assets commercially, you're not allowed to distribute the assets themselves. But please use the contact details provided by Sue above if you need official clarification, as most people here can only give you an unofficial answer.

LoopysueAshtagonRoyal ScribeScottAjmabbottroflo1
  • Buy now and start creating would be my advice. Why wait?

I know when I started using the program for commissions and such the responses from PF were very helpful in regards to what is, and is not, allowed. If in doubt, as Monsen says, use the links provided by Sue - better to ask for permission, rather than forgiveness...