Beginer Questions

Hello,
I just got CC3 as part of the whole shebang package and I have a bunch of questions.

1.) I'm trying to do a map that has an greek/celtic sort of them. I want to use a Greek font since the druids wrote in Greek or a mystical font. For the mystical font I was thinking of using a font called Aradia and doing the map's writting in Theban if I can't find a good Greek font. Does anyone know a good Greek font to use for mapping.

2.) When I'm making a map can you draw the map and transfer your land drawing to another map? I'd like to be able to make a few island maps, but I want to be able to transfer them to diffrent style maps and I want the land outlines to be the same.

3.) What is the best order to read the manuals, view the tutorial videos, etc. in? I can do a basic map right now.

4.) Aside from a good photo editor, am I going to need any other software to use my ProFantasy software fully?

5.) I tend to do a lot of cross genre type stuff. Any advice on doing a map that is going to incorporate ancient style stuff, modern, and futuristic things?

Thanks.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited February 2010
    2) Yes. You can either copy entities between maps (Edit-> Copy, Paste [Pay attention to the command line, it works slightly different than "traditional" copy/paste]), or you can import one map into another (Draw -> Insert File).

3) Start with the complete CC3 manual (not the quick start guide). Then watch the overland video tutorial on the user tutorials page. That covers overland mapping. Anything else depends on what addons you will be using. The DD3 video tutorial is good if you are going to make dungeon maps, but the exact order doesn't really matter once you are done with the overland parts, which should cover all core CC3 features.

4) No. CC3 (including addons) is self contained, so you don't really need any other software. Unless you are going to be making new symbols, you really don't need a photo editor either unless you want to. I know some people like to do post-CC3 work in one, but personally, I prefer to stick with what CC3 itself can give me, as you can create beautiful maps using CC3's capabilities. You may wish to have a pdf printer installed if you wish to be able to export your maps to pdf, but there are several free ones available on the net.
  • Thanks.

I do have some other questions.

1.) When I run CD3 and right click on the city symbol settings button and select a selection like cyberpunk the symbol set doesn't show up in the select catalog setrtings box that pops up and it doesn't have the symbol set in it. Some of the symbol sets will show up, but others don't. I can access the symbol sets that aren't showing up via the CD3 symbol toolbar. I saw some posts on similar problems with symbol sets not showing up. I'm running Windows 7. I did do my install using run as admin and did that for the patch. I installed the patch again after installing all of my CC3 software add ons. I have CD3 the hig res bit maps and the menu fix installed if that helps.

2.) Are there any other common bugs I ougt to be aware of or things to check to make sure everything installed properly?
  • 1) Well, the symbols can be accessed via the symbol changer, but mostly I just use browse to get to the ones I want to use. Faster.

2) don't over fractalize, Windows has an inability to handle it. to check, save your work, fractalize, save to a different filename, go on with the map.

I do many 'save as' on every map I make. Save as fielname0001, save as filename002, etc. If there is a problem, or I decide map 20 is a better fit for what I want to do that map 200, then I can go back to map 20.