Live Mapping: Modern Journeys (with Custom Symbols)

Hi everyone!

This week Ralf is back to Live Mapping - trying to relieve his German "Fernweh" by drawing a Modern Journeys map, while also showing how to use some trickery with custom symbols.

Come watch it on Youtube here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSJwUzMQsTU

Or you can watch it here on the forum:

If you join the Live Chat we will be asking for requests for future live mapping sessions near the end of the stream.

Royal ScribeScottA

Comments

• If you join the Live Chat we will be asking for requests for future live mapping sessions near the end of the stream.

Brilliant! I will start jotting down notes of things to suggest.

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

Oh gosh! Remind me to remind Ralf a good 15 minutes before the end if he's rounding things up by then.

Royal Scribe

30 minute shout! :)

Royal Scribe
  • This was super educational. Thank you! I definitely plan on rewatching. Lots of new commands and techniques to study.

Here are some thoughts I jotted down on potential topics for future Live tutorials. Apologies if some of these exist already (and if they do, could someone point me in the right direction?). If you'd prefer a new thread for these suggestions, please let me know and I can move these suggestions to that thread.

• Build a castle, inside and out (like CA149 Beaumaris Castle) – might require multiple tutorials like the Big City series did.
    • Vertical Dungeons / Side Views
    • Advanced Drawing Tool Techniques (drawing commands like control-for-smooth with mirrored polygon tools, parabolic polygon, Bezier, cubic poly, chained arc, multipoly tool) – many are mentioned here and there in other tutorials but could be helpful to have a whole video about these techniques to have one video to rewatch.
    • Elven Village with connected tree houses (SS5 Elven assets, maybe with a custom-made Rivendell-inspired palace)
    • One Day World Builder tutorial video
    • CA92 Real World Vector Data (how to import, examples for using like maybe a historical map or a post-apocalyptic map)

I had other ideas, but I think they’re more for future annuals or monthly symbols instead of Live tutorials. I’ll throw them here anyway.

Potential Future Annuals

• Exotic Fantasy Ships (swan boats, gnome dirigibles, eagle-shaped airships, shark-shaped submarines) – feathered/scaly fills, painted wood fills, transparent glass domes (or semi-transparent fills for panes of glass)

Potential Monthly Symbols (possibly an Annual)

• Castle Fixtures, External – Gargoyles & grotesques, flags & flagpoles, spires, bells, drawbridges, machicolations (murder holes), corbels, any other castle ornamentation that could be seen from above
    • Heraldry symbols expansion – solid varicolor silhouettes of animals, mythological creatures, zodiac symbols, other common heraldry symbols not currently available in CA15 (great for using as brass inlays or stitched on fabric per this thread)
    • Greco-Roman (dungeons & city symbols and fills). Dungeon Symbols: more column options, litters on poles, lounging couches, more statues. City Symbols: various temple types, amphitheaters, aqueducts, Forum…
    roflo1
  • I would like to second some of Royal Scribe's suggestions for future Live Mapping tutorials

1. vertical Dungeons eg Annual 36A and Annual 56.
    2. Advanced drawing tool techniques - i have Lots of questions
    3. CA92 Real world Data - found this hard to do, but really interested. Also getting real world data into FT3
    4. MACROS. For the dumbasses like me.
    5. Fiddling with the .mnu files to add buttons and other things - I must admit I have done this exensively already, but I am sure others would like to know.
    Royal Scribe

Thanks for taking the time to make a list. I've copied it all into my new suggestions doc.

Royal Scribe