Floor Tiles Tutorials

I've been using these tools for a bit now. But I've wanted to increase my understanding of symbols. I've been able to use symbols from other people by following the tutorials for creating your own furniture symbols.

But I have a folder full of new floor tile png's and don't know now to get them imported into the flooring tools (symbol catalog).

Can somebody point me in the right direction on how to take a folder of png's and have them show up when i go to draw a brown dirt floor?

These png's seem to be a set for example. I have 5 png's listed like this
bricks-1-a.png
bricks-1-b.png
bricks-1-c.png
bricks-1-d.png
bricks-1-e.png

I assume they can be combined and imported somehow.

-A-

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Sounds to me like what you really want is to use these as fill styles for the floor tool, and not as symbols. To do this is rather simple:

1) If these different tiles are meant to be part of one continuous floor, you need to combine them in an image editor. CC3 cannot handle multiple files in one fill style. If these are different styles, intended to be used one at a time, you can create 5 different tools, one for each.

2) First, you need to create a fill style from your raster files. Place the files somewhere (somewhere inside CC3\Bitmaps is a good location). Make a subdirectory of your own to place them in.

3) Tools -> Import Bitmap fill styles. Browse to your new directory, check "create other resolutions", change the scale if neccessary, and hit ok.

4) If you go to the fill style dialog, you will see your new fill style is listed on the "bitmaps" tab. It is named after the original file name of the image file, so it should be easy to find. Verify it, and close this dialog.

5) Now it is time to create your floor tool. Right click on the floor button, then hit advanced. Select any floor in the list to use as a base, then hit "New". This will create a new floor style from the existing one. Name it "Floor, MyFloorName".

6) Make sure your new floor style is selected in the list, then hit properties, and in the fill style drop down, select the bitmap fill you created in step 3.

7) Reapeat step 5-6 for each fill you created.

Note that this will only create the fill style in the current template. To have them available in other templates, you just need to load the template in question into CC3 as if it was a drawing, complete the procedure, then save. Note this will only affect new maps made from the tample. Old maps are not affected.
  • Thanks for the response. I'll give that a shot. It pretty much sounds like what I want. And I already have a template I use for all my DD3 maps so it should be a snap. Just didn't know the steps. :)