Questions with Dungeon Designer 3

Hi everyone, my first post here. I recently had a desire to start re-doing some of the maps for our Pathfinder game in a higher detail (due to my use of a projector for our games) and a friend suggested I try out this program. I guess he got it a while back but didn't end up using it much, however it seemed perfect for my own use. I borrowed the laptop and such necessary with CC3 and DD3, and after playing around with it for a while ended up making my first map of a mansion the players use as their home. I even went and purchased the Symbol Set 2 for the added material. I am working on a 'dungeon' type level right now, but have a number of questions that I just haven't been able to figure out from the video tutorials or on my own.

1. Is there a guide for what to set the sheets at to get a nice and dark dungeon feel? This thread has the *perfect* demonstration of what I'd love to get, including a nice glow around the lights, dark shadows, etc. However, there is no explanation on how it's done.

2. In addition to the above, is there a way to give all the torches/candles/etc. in the program a more natural 'glow'? I noticed the sconce with torch has a yellow semi circle glow around it, but it just seems kind of fake. Are the torches/candles already on their own torch sheet, or do they all need to be individually set?

3. Is there a better way to do floors? I have a number of 'curvaceous' rooms due to the natural caverns, and the tutorial says to copy the wall layout, then use the 'multipoly' tool to turn it into floors. This seems a bit over-complicated though and doesn't always turn it into the right floor, sometimes causing weird jagged effects on both sides of the old walls. Is there no way to simply 'fill' an area with a specific floor?

4. Lastly, is there any other resource for more symbols? I am loving the details on the default ones with DD3 and the additional symbols with SS2, but I still feel like there's a lot lacking. There's only so many different beds, shelves, not even a larger bookcase, and so few rugs. I know other mapping programs will often have 'free' community resources for download and add-in, but I can't find anything like that here.

All help is appreciated, thank you!

Comments

• And so does DD3.. The CSUAC is available at GMs aperentice http://www.gmsapprentice.com/

As for the map you showed.. I belive that is using the lighted dungeon from the 08 Annual, but I could be wronf...
  • Wow, the CSUAC is just what I was looking for! Now my only wish is if there was a way to compile every 'furniture' piece into its own tab (instead of being separated throughout DD3, SS2, and CSUAC) but the inconvenience is mild at worse. Now I just need to figure out how to mess with the sheets to get some good lighting effects and I'll be all set.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited February 2010
    Posted By: KaruiKageNow my only wish is if there was a way to compile every 'furniture' piece into its own tab
    Symbol catalogs are your friend here. You can create your own custom symbol catalogs that contain whatever symbols you wish. You can then proceed to make a new button on the toolbar to give yourself quick access to that symbol catalog.
    See my post here for buttons to access the CSUAC symbols more easily. You can do the same with a custom catalog of your own making.

Symbol catalog creation should be covered in the CC3 manual.
  • Thanks for the buttons Monsen! That will work out great. I grabbed the Annual Vol. 2 to help with the lighting as well, and it is definitely an improvement. Now if I can only find an easier way to 'fill' in strangely curvaceous rooms with a certain floor then I will be all set. The copy/multiploy should work for now, it's just a hassle.