WIP - Senan

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

You could try switching them off on a sheet by sheet level by unchecking the little box next to the effect - if you really need some of the effects but not all of them to be able to see what you are doing.

Royal ScribeGlitch
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 51 images Cartographer

Things like blurs are pretty slow. But I think @jslayton is probably the authoritative source of knowledge here.

• DaltonSpenceDaltonSpence Mapmaker
    edited May 16
    To be honest I think a sharper shoreline would look better so uncheck the blur there. Also I still think a darker outer glow for roads and paths to imply ditches would make them stand out. Finally it may be because I'm retired but I don't mind waiting a bit for sheet effects to be redrawn. ;)
    Glitch
  • Not much accomplished this morning - increased building density along pier and milling areas, fussed with roads and paths. Will start working on the south of river area or "old town" section over the weekend.

LoopysueQuentenMaidhc O CasainRicko Hasche
  • Have to leave off this project for a little bit - getting ready for neck surgery next week, been bothering me for years - compressed nerve sets off tendonitis in my right arm and hand - hopefully a successful surgery will alleviate and I will be able to use my mouse hand for more than a few minutes a day. Here's where I'm at:

Worked a little on the shipyards - need to add roads and LOD, but I think I'm making progress on "old town". What do you all think about putting a few farms inside the "new wall"?

LoopysueMonsenDaltonSpence
  • Working on a color shift from the green/grey to a green/brown to designate "old town" buildings.

LoopysueMonsenRicko Hasche
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

Good luck with the surgery, Glitch :)

Glitch
  • Indeed, good luck with the surgery. As someone who also has manual dexterity problems, I can quite appreciate the problems. CC's been a definite boon in this regard.

Glitch
  • Good luck with the surgery. Hope to see you back to mapping your wonderful maps soon.

Glitch
  • Wish you a fast recovery.

Glitch
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 51 images Cartographer
    edited May 19

Good luck with the surgery.

Related to the problem using the mouse in general, remember that quite a lot of CC3+ can actually be done using the keyboard. This allows you to even work one handed. Some things do get quite a bit more cumbersome, but it do allow one to keep working.

Don Anderson Jr.Glitch
  • Best of luck with the surgery. Look forward to your return. ❤️

Glitch
  • 15 days later
  • Back. Making some progress. Need to add farms along outside of city, add vegetation, additional LOD; staring at it now trying to identify corrections that I need to make. As always, suggestions welcomed.

MonsenRoyal ScribeLoopysueQuentenRicko HascheLoreleiCalibre
  • Looking great - but why is everything grey?

• I blame it on Sue. Her Darklands release, set me to thinking about a world where Druids have gone bad---sucking life for wealth and power. So kind of a drab world until players can break their hold on it.

Finished blocking out everything - now going in and cleaning up, adding LOD and playing with other presentation elements.

LoopysueRoyal ScribeRalfCalibre
  • Damn those capitalistic Druids - LOL. No colour TV!!!!

Calibre
  • 7 days later
  • Fighting some minor complications from surgery - but have finally got to a point where Senan is playable. I have always struggled with NPC naming, so I hope that no one is upset that I used their name.

LoopysueRoyal ScribeGeorgeWyvernCalibre
  • Selected blowups:

Up Town

Old Town

The Warrens

Shipyards

Wall construction area - I'm really glad that this was suggested. Now I have to figure out what they uncovered during construction.

MonsenQuentenLoopysueRoyal ScribeRalfCalibre
  • The wall construction area is awesome. I like the chimney smoke as well.

I found the blue writing hard to read. I had to zoom in a lot. Anderson Lumber Mill, apropos since I have spent the majority of my life doing construction and renovations. I think that is really cool to incorporate user names.

Awesome map, I am jealous.

• I didn't see Royal Scribe Services before. Aww, that's great! (I, too, had trouble with the font until I downloaded a copy and enlarged it.)

• Senan - Liosach

Brae Islands

Background

Removed from his position by the Druids of Colaste for his anti-slavery position, as well as his

marriage to a Priestess; Count Fen has gathered the Houses that remain loyal and retreated to

and fortified Senan.

In response, the Druids have turned over Liosach to House Goldenlilly, and cursed the forests

around Senan

Cursed Forests

Once lush forest land, the forests surrounding Senan have been cursed. The trees have

died off, and rumors of unusual creatures make the forests a dangerous place. The trees when

harvested and milled are an excellent source of ship building materials. The wood, although

requiring special tools to work remains buoyant, is tough, and fire resistant.

Carragean Seaweed Beds

Harvested by Juanpi’s divers, the “leaves” of the plant are used as a food source, while

the stalks are retted at Loopy’s retting field. The short fibers are sold to Royal Scribe Services

where they are made into cold pressed paper. The long fibers are processed and sold to textile

makers: Ricko’s Textiles is known for its colorful fabrics; Calibre Sail creates rope and sail cloth.

Up Town

Consists of the estates of the wealthy houses that have come to support Count Fen in

his exile. Other buildings include the Grand Cathedral, Castle Fen, and The Five Masters

Military Academy.

Lumber Camp

Just outside of the eastern walls, the lumber camp houses the rough necked men and

women that brave the dangers of the cursed forest to harvest wood for Anderson’s Lumber Mill.

The Warrens

Consisting of tightly packed three- and four-story homes where the city laborers reside.

Old Town

The original town center, consisted of a chapel, the town hall, entertainment center and

open market.

The Steel Reef

Some say that the reef was created by the fall of a clutch of fighting dragons, others say

they are remnants of great ships from a prior age. Steel Reef divers led by Master Diver Maidic

brave the dangerous waters to retrieve valuable precious metals – particularly high-quality steel.

Royal Scribe
  • Building

District

Notes

Loopy’s Retting Northern Farms 66 -Z Converts seaweed stalks to fiber for textiles, rope, and paper

Richo’s Fine Textiles Uptown, Main Street 45 - AC Maker of fine textiles and clothing

Calibre Sail Works Uptown, Main Street 50 - W Maker of sail cloth and ropes

Juanpi’s Divers Northern Farms 67 - S Harvests the Carragean seaweed for food and processing

Dalton’s Architectural Old Town – Wall Construction 11 - AE Architect in charge of building the walls

Wyvern’s Four Forges Old Town 12 - Y Maker of Weapons, tools, building materials

Kron’s Wallers Old Town – Wall Construction 10 - AI Construction workers

Ralf’s Brickworks Outside of Eastern Walls, South of the river 43 - XY Provides the bricks for most of the buildings

Trinni Shipyards Old Town, Harbor 29 - AA Builder of trade ships

Anderson Lumber Mill Old Town - North 41 - AR Collects lumber in lagoon and mills into lumber

Walker Ranch Outside of Senan South, Walker Lane 04 - AE Ranch - Supports Walker Overland and City

Monsen Hospice Uptown, Main Steet 48 - AA Hospital and Recovery Center

Maidic Steel Reef Divers Outside of Senan South -Costal Road 7 - Q Harvest metal from the Steel Reef

Royal Scribe Services Uptown, Main Street 52 - T Cold pressed paper, transcription, letters

Sweet Tooth Bakery Uptown, Market Street 45 - Z Front for Moon and Dagger Assassins guild

Five Masters Military Academy Uptown, Silverthorn Lane 54 - AD Horsemanship, Archery, Swordsmanship military training

Abandoned Trading Post Northern Cursed Forest 43 - BC 

Royal ScribeMonsen
  • Hopefully a little easier to read. Thanks all!

Don Anderson Jr.Quenten
  • You should think about uploading a higher-res version of this to your Forum Gallery (maximum size there is 8 MB).

Royal Scribe
  • Actually, I have discovered that the maximum size for both the forum AND Gallery is 10Mb - perhaps the Gallery size should be doubled, to reflect the doubling in the Forum upload size.

• It looks like the gallery limit is 8 mb - I uploaded some of the selected images. The greater map is just over 10mb - I'll re-render and try to get it to 8 mb

• That's strange - because a lot of my maps in both the gallery AND the forum are 9.5MB. Try a size just under 10Mb