Mixing curves and straight lines?

Hi all!

It's that time of year when I delve a liiittle deeper into CC3 and asks lots of questions... sorry and thanks in advance!

I'm trying to draw lines/paths... I can draw straight lines and I can draw curves. I can even join them later... But is there any way to start drawing a straight-line-polygon, then switch to curves for part of it? (For example, draw two straight lines, then switch to a curve, then draw a few more straight lines, without finishing the polygon in between)

And is it possible to change a straight line in an existing shape into a curve? If I want to (eg) make one side of a square curved, right now I have to explode the square, delete a straight line, draw a curved line and combine it all again...

Thanks for all of your help!

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

If you use the smooth polygon tool you can add as many corners (and therefore straight sections) as you like by pressing C before you click for each corner.

Kit Flemons
  • Ahhhh! Thanks!

If I use a different polygon tool (or if the polygon is already finished) is there anything I can do?

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

You are already using the same techniques that I would use on existing polys.

However, it is possible to 'square' a corner in an existing smooth polygon by adding a second node directly on top of an existing one. That's a little tricky to do, though.

Kit Flemons
  • Ok, cheers! Good to know I'm on the right path. CC3 is both close enough to, and different enough from, other vector programmes that I'm sometimes not sure if I'm on the right path.

(I've used Illustrator, etc, but not autoCAD)

Loopysue
  • It may be worth noting that using the "C" = corner command to add extra nodes can sometimes create problems because of the extra nodes very close together this generates, and you can end up with unwanted extra lines you didn't create apparently linking unconnected parts of the line to one another. You may only see these at certain zoom levels when viewing the CC3+ map, but if you can see them, they'll often export if you try to save an image, or print it out. This is far more likely to happen with fractal lines or polygons than smooth ones, as they have far more nodes in general, but that "C" command isn't always problem-free either, unfortunately.

LoopysueJimP