[WIP] Combining Sinister Sewers with a Basement Floorplan

I asked for some advice about adding Sinister Sewers around a Basement floorplan of a library. This is what I got following it. The sewer lines are under the main streets surrounding the building (except for the top one which is under the parking lot). Access to the sewers is through secret doors and tunnels from the basement level with a secret underground room in front of the building. 

Tell me what you think.
Royal ScribeJimPCalibreRicko HascheLoopysue

Comments

• You've done a great job keeping things tight and clean, where the walls everywhere are all proportionally distanced from the canals, and so are the pipes. That's the part I'm still trying to get the hang of -- half the time when my connecting wall or pipe turns a corner, it's not the same distance from the canal as it was around the bend. This map is nicely done. Not that it changes anything, but this is meant for a more modern sewer system (judging from the fact that there's a parking lot)? Are the rooms in the upper right with pipes coming from below meant to be bathrooms?

JimP
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

Nice work :)

I hadn't thought of using the brick floors alongside the drainage ditches, but they work well.

JimP
  • You've done a great job keeping things tight and clean, where the walls everywhere are all proportionally distanced from the canals, and so are the pipes. That's the part I'm still trying to get the hang of -- half the time when my connecting wall or pipe turns a corner, it's not the same distance from the canal as it was around the bend.

I sort of cheated by drawing double lines (DBLN) 4 feet apart on the WATER sheet over the sewer channels, used the XROAD macro on the intersections and fillet and trim (TFIL) to round the corners then line-to-path (LPT2) and combine (CMB) to create the polygons.

This map is nicely done. Not that it changes anything, but this is meant for a more modern sewer system (judging from the fact that there's a parking lot)? Are the rooms in the upper right with pipes coming from below meant to be bathrooms?

Yes, the corner rooms are meant to bathrooms which are the only ones that need water. They will be stacked on other floors. (I can post the first floor if you're interested.)

JimPRoyal Scribe
  • That's not a "cheat," it's genius! I have to experiment with these commands. Yeah, I'd love to see the first floor to see how it all works together.

• Okay, here we go. The dotted line inside the semicircle of pillars denotes a lightwell through the second and third floors to a skylight in the roof. Beneath this area on the first floor would be the old card catalogs while the side areas would have book stacks, study carrels and tables and a public computer section. (A catalog of modern library symbols to fill these areas would be helpful.) 

I see ground level at the front doors as being 5 feet below that of the parking lot at the rear (hence the outside stairs in front). The stairwell windows are at half-floor levels. I still need to tweak some things before I add the upper floors. 
    Royal ScribeLoopysueRicko HascheJimPCalibre
  • This is great! Do the modern symbols like the handicap parking symbols come from one of the modern symbol sets, or did you have to create/import them yourself?

• DaltonSpenceDaltonSpence Mapmaker
    edited March 10
    I'm not sure where the handicapped parking symbol originally came from. I remembered using one in an earlier map but when I copied it to my new map and closely looked at it I discovered that the "solid" areas were actually a closely woven mesh of over 1300 diagonal lines which may indicate it was originally a DXF symbol. I didn't like this so I drew lines and arcs around the endpoints of those lines, connected them into solid polygons and deleted the original mesh. (Well the wheels were a multipoly so they would remain sufficiently round.)
    Royal Scribe
  • Okay, I've done some detail work on the bathrooms. Now I need to find some urinals for the men's room.

Note the windows are frosted for privacy. ;)
    Royal ScribeLoopysueJimPRicko HascheCalibre
  • 10 days later
  • Okay, here are the revised washrooms. I moved the dividing wall 6" east so they would be equal sized which meant I had to narrow the north-east window a smidge. I also expanded the view slightly so you could see a bit of the parking lot and one of the bushes between the outside pillars on the other sides of the building.

Royal ScribeLoopysueJimPRicko HascheGlitch
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited March 22

I seem to remember such symbols for floors in one of the Cosmographer sets, maybe an Annual ?

CA67 has floor signs, but no handicap signs.

Those are the only ones I've found after a few minutes looking.

edit: I looked through Dundjinni as well. Not every symbol fsc, but ones I felt would have such symbols.