This file won't save properly with the upper land mass

Hello I have been using cc3+ casually to make a map. However recently I came across a frustrating issue where my map won't save. The real interesting part is that it will save properly if the northern landmass is deleted. I can then upload the rest of the map no problem. Hi res, getting it to be like 6000x6000 but if that norther landmass is there I can not save it. I assume there is an error or entity count limit. That's my guess. But I would like some support if possible to solving this issue. I will upload the map later for those to take a look. If anyone has had similar issues before I would appreciate the advise.

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

Yes, please can we have a look at the FCW?

• Here is the file in question

And here is a map of the area i was referring too being deleted when compared to the FCW. All problems seem to stem from the upper top landmass and I am lost as to why.

Oh, I see what you mean. That's a bit odd, isn't it.

• It is, and I don't understand what the issue is. I would really like some thoughts or advise about it.

• I think its the land itself? I am narrowing this down slowly and painfully

Remy identified the TERRAIN WASTE sheet, and in particular that topmost polygon of it. I used SIMPLIFY on that one poly with the distance set to zero, so that it only removed nodes that are exactly right on top of one another. I then had to put the top left corner of that poly back in.

There were also a couple of stray symbols way off the map bottom left. I just deleted those.

You can probably do this yourself anyway, but in case my success was a fluke here is the FCW

Bastone
  • Thank you so much loopysue, it is uploading without effects on now, so the issue was a polygon was outside the map? And what is SIMPLIFY? Thank you so much for assisting me and I will be trying to do a upload of it was sheet effects on.

edited February 23

Thanks - it was a team effort. Remy (Monsen) found the sheet before I got there :)

The issue would seem to be one or more of the nodes that were deleted by SIMPLIFY, though quite why CC3 didn't like those particular nodes is unknown.

SIMPLIFY is a keyboard command. If you type it and hit enter, then read the command line you will see CC3 prompt you for a distance. This distance is the minimum distance you want between the nodes of your line or polygon. So if I'd typed "10" and hit enter a huge number of nodes would have vanished from that polygon and none of the remaining ones would have been closer than 10 map units.

The reason I tried zero first was to preserve the drawing the way you wanted it if possible. If it hadn't worked I might have tried 0.1 next.

Bastone
  • edited February 23

I do want to ask too, how did polygons got outside the map? Isn't that what the white border around the map edge is for to keep the nods inside the map painting area?

Also thank you too remy, I didn't know it was a team effort. Thank you both very much.

edited February 23

I don't think the polygons were outside the edge of the map. The entities I deleted were symbols, I believe. You can paste symbols anywhere, and it's easy enough to do. I've found trees and mountains and all sorts in strange places where I must have mis-clicked at some point.

EDIT: The SCREEN is to hide the bits of symbol that stick out when you paste symbols on the edge of the map, or when you deliberately draw polygons outside the edge to counteract an Edge Fade, Inner sheet effect. It doesn't chop things off, but only covers them up. You will see what falls outside the edge if you zoom to extents and hide the SCREEN sheet.

EDIT2: The drawing tools used to draw things like land and terrain are often limited to the map border, which usually coincides with the inner edge of the screen. However, you can override that behaviour where you want the polygon to go over the edge.

Bastone
  • Alright, thank you very much for the information, I learn new things about this tool everyday. Thanks again. Also, what is you're opinion of my map? I am using it as a set piece for my homebrew world fantasty rp.

It's attractive and beautifully detailed. The labels alone are an artwork. I would be proud of it, if it were mine.

• Thank you. Though, I am kinda new here, is there a discord related to profantasy or is it all on the forum?

edited February 23

No, there's no Discord that I know of.

The best technical help is more available on the forum right here, where it's also possible to upload many more file types and much larger images than on other platforms.

There is an FB Group, but you will have to answer the questionnaire before you are accepted.

Bastone
  • Ah, alright, well thank you very much Sue for the answers and let remy know I appreciate the help. I am glad to have the map working and can finally upload it for my players.