Feature Suggestion Thread

The Annuals are amazing and chock full of really quality content. I don't know how Ralf et al keep coming up with it. I also see threads here and there where people mention a feature they'd like to see, so I thought let's make a thread!

I'd love to see a dedicated tool or symbol pack for navigation lines. We can make them of course--@Loopysue did a great tutorial, and I was recently given a link to a Live Mapping session that also demonstrates it in a particular style pack. However I think it'd be great to have a style pack with multiple base shapes, styles, and so on to make this easier and quicker, and even a tool that would allow us to pick a point on a map, click, choose options, and have the nav / rhumb lines auto-generate and extend to the edge of the map.

How about you? Is there a feature, style, or other aspect of mapping you'd like to see? Share it here and maybe it'll end up on a list for future annuals!

Comments

• edited February 21

I have thoughts on things I'd love to see in future Annuals, but if I mention something that already exists in an older Annual, please advise and I may go buy it!

• Greco-Roman symbols (both City and Dungeon level) - aqueducts, baths, forums, temples, amphitheaters (and at the dungeon level: couches, statues)
    • Elven Village (if in a Mike Schley-compatible style, could expand on his elven homes in SS5, or could be totally unique) - tree houses, swan boats and canoes, henges, colorful/exotic flowers and plants, fairy circles, and specialty animals: deer, swans, exotic birds, unicorns, pegasuses (pegasi?), giant eagles and their nests
    • Airships - dirigibles, hot air balloons, magical flying ships, Spelljammer-compatible ships
    • Academy/University - not sure what this would include, but I will need to design one at some point
    • Botanical Garden

If Mike Schley is still doing monthlies:

• Throne Room - thrones, dais, crowns and other regalia (perhaps with pillows to display them on), banners, shields (upright as wall decorations), red (or varicolor) carpets that can be combined into a long strip (or as a fill?), couches or lounge chairs, suits of armor.*
    • Library - more bookcase options, more open/closed books, varicolored scroll cases, rolled-up scrolls tied with varicolored ribbon, ink jars with feathered quills.**
    • Gnome or Artificer Workshop - though there are some alchemist supplies already
    • Mines - tracks, handcarts, pickaxes, individual gems (as opposed to a pile of gems)
    • Fairs or festivals - the marketplace symbols have a lot, but I'm thinking about things for performers: juggling pins and balls, musical instruments
    • Harbor / Docks / Shipyard - nets, tridents, fish (in open barrels, in piles, and individually), coils of rope

(* With these, I dug through the Mike Schley symbols and found some that could work -- the varicolor "chair ornate" could make for a golden throne, and there's standing armor in weapons. But I haven't found any couches or lounges, just benches and chairs. And there's small area rugs but nothing I saw that could make for a long stretch of carpeting.)

(** The temples and necromancer sets have some of these, though I don't recall seeing feathered quills.)

Also, I have some great photorealistic fills for these sorts of things already, but I'd love more illustrated-style fills for granite, more marble, maybe carpeting?

Ricko HascheJackTheMapperMapjunkieLoopysue
  • edited February 21

here have a big list to mike schley montlhy content. Still waiting oriental and greco roman structures for overland. Maybe it's not a bad idea to consider a monthly content in Cartographers annual with a massive contribution of new images, default terrains etc.

https://forum.profantasy.com/discussion/comment/107955#Comment_107955

Cheers

Royal ScribeJackTheMapper
  • I would love Sue to do some monthly's for her Spectrum Overland style

JackTheMapperRicko HascheJulianDracosJimP
  • 10 days later
  • I agree that Sue should add more to Spectrum Overland. I would prefer that to be the default style. At the very least, I would like more structure symbols. In addition:

1. Empire of the Sun revisited
    2. An overland and city map in the style of Francesca Baerald - especially for L5R
    3. A steampunk style cosmos map. While I am not saying to copy the style, I am sure Sue can come up with her own, this is sort of what I have in mind: https://www.deviantart.com/francescabaerald/art/The-Sol-System-Warhammer-Horus-Heresy-792400520
    4. A Mesoamerican (Aztec) style of map. I have some prints, but the artist's name in not on them. He redid Star Wars, Predator, etc. in Aztec art style. I think it would be interesting to have an overland and maybe city style done with that type of art.
    5. A creature art pack for use with overland maps, e.g. sea monsters, flying dragons, etc. Just things to add embellishments that are suitable for some of the more recent map styles
    6. A steampunk or dieselpunk city perspectives style
    7. Overland alien worlds. These would be exotic looking, with maybe alien creatures. Different style structures, e.g. some would be domed cities, with others look futuristic. Space ports, alien archeology sites etc.
    8. Space Station style map
    9. Airship style map
    10. Futuristic/alien city style map
    Royal ScribeJimPJackTheMapper
  • edited March 4

Expanse RPG style maps for ships and interiors: https://imgur.com/a/TJkzpto and https://imgur.com/VJhRPAU

The lack of hard sci-fi style is kinda depressing. :)

LoopysueJackTheMapper
  • Off the topic of annuals and on the topic of feature suggestions, I'd like to suggest CC4 be cross-platform. Come-on let's show Mac users some love!

JackTheMapper
  • @jmabbott As they say in the country we both are in ; Yeah, Nah

JackTheMapperjmabbottJimP
  • The expanse maps look pretty similar to what you can already do in Cosmographer and its existing annuals. I would like something that looks better.

JackTheMapper
  • We've had repeated discussions about submarine mapping styles on the Forum here. I've tinkered about with existing styles and a few additions of my own for use in the Community Atlas. I'd definitely love to see someone tackle these more fully, but am far from sure it'll happen in the short-term.

The main problems revolve around not having access to the same kind of imaging you can get easily for surface landforms, so it's much harder to create artistic symbols and fill styles, because these simply don't exist, and never have done. The Tharp style is fine, but essentially, this is all there is to draw upon of this type for the deep undersea environment especially, and it falls apart as soon as you try to use it for areas less than oceanic in scale, primarily because the detailed mapping to help also to a large extent doesn't exist (plus these maps are interpretations of instrumental readings, such as sonar, which don't give the same impression you would get if you saw the features in reality; the Tharp maps are calibrated and redrawn artistically to fit with more familiar visual landscape impressions - like using wall shadows in dungeons, say, even when you know those couldn't be really there).

There are undersea features that have no land-based equivalents, such as seamounts, trenches and mid-ocean ridges, much of which remain remarkably poorly-understood, often because the areas are difficult to access and impossible to image visually on anything beyond a very limited scale. Even trying to find a reliable drawing of what a single, fully-grown giant kelp looks like (they're usually far too big to image, at up to a couple of hundred metres in height), proved a nightmare when I tried to do so some years back for my Atlas symbols. Photo images show only bits at a time, or from oblique angles, because of the size issue, and the fact they grow in dense forests commonly makes it hard to tell which bit belongs to which kelp! It is possible to make an artistic interpretation, much as the overland styles often use slightly vague interpretations of trees, and it's that "vagueness" I relied on, certainly!

So yes, one more vote for more undersea mapping options (though I have voted for this repeatedly anyway 😁) - just don't hold your breath 😉!

JackTheMapperRoyal ScribejmabbottLoopysueJulianDracos
  • Maybe I am just too confident in Sue's ability to handle these issues ;)

Royal ScribeJackTheMapperCalibre
  • edited March 7

Cosmographer's assets seem too retro and a bit trippy to me. They are fine for some space fantasy setting. Retro Starships style pack looks way better, but using such maps in VTTs is impractical due to the large amount of text.

Of course it's just a matter of taste. Surely maps made by Miska and Moonlight are better.