Pete Fenlon Revisited symbols

I'm doing a quick sketch using the Pete Fenlon Revisited template but in the Structures catalogue some of the list of symbols show diagonal lines going away to the top left hand corner. How come?

Attaching files so you can see.

Best Answers

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 51 images Cartographer
    Accepted Answer

Looks like a weird graphical glitch. Not sure what could cause it. Does it happen with the symbols when you place them in the map as well, or is it only in the symbol catalog?

Accepted Answer

I did some testing here, and I found I can replicate the issue. It is a problem that happens when you run CC3+ on top of an arm-based version of Windows (Which you do, since your new Mac is using one of the new M-chips, which are arm-chips).

Technically, CC3+ cannot run on arm-based computers at all, but Windows (and Macs) comes with a translation layer that allows the software to run, even if it was made for a different processor architecture.

However, there seem to be some kind of glitch that occur in certain situations (those particular symbols for example) that probably is due to this translation layer.

In other words, yes, it is probably something with your setup that causes this, but it is not the CC3+ installation itself that is the problem, and probably nothing you can do about this right now. This is unlikely to be some quick fix.

Loopysue

Answers

• Don't know what's happening here, but a quick check of my own Pete Fenlon Revisited Annual issue shows nothing like this. Does it still look like this if you check again after rebooting your computer? I've found that sometimes solves oddities like this with CC3+. Computers can be awkward like that...

• I'm afraid rebooting isn't any help, @Wyvern . I tried that before I posted. Which annual is it in, because my brain's gone blank.

Accepted Answer

Looks like a weird graphical glitch. Not sure what could cause it. Does it happen with the symbols when you place them in the map as well, or is it only in the symbol catalog?

• I don't see any symbols in that fcw but the compass rose and scale.

My Pete Fenlon Revisited symbol set, Structures, doesn't show those lines in the symbol select left of the map.

That line doesn't show up when I place them in the above fcw.

• the diagonal lines are there when I put the symbols on the map, @Monsen . Which Annual was the Pete Fenlon Revisited in? if it's last year's one I have it in my downloads, if not I'm going to have to hunt for that month.

Your reply, @JimP , confirms that its something to do with my installation.

JimP
    Accepted Answer

I did some testing here, and I found I can replicate the issue. It is a problem that happens when you run CC3+ on top of an arm-based version of Windows (Which you do, since your new Mac is using one of the new M-chips, which are arm-chips).

Technically, CC3+ cannot run on arm-based computers at all, but Windows (and Macs) comes with a translation layer that allows the software to run, even if it was made for a different processor architecture.

However, there seem to be some kind of glitch that occur in certain situations (those particular symbols for example) that probably is due to this translation layer.

In other words, yes, it is probably something with your setup that causes this, but it is not the CC3+ installation itself that is the problem, and probably nothing you can do about this right now. This is unlikely to be some quick fix.

Loopysue
  • Thanks, Remy, its useful to know what is the problem.