Looking for Opinion on Best Style

Hey folks I am looking at building out some overland maps for my Call of Cthulhu (1920's) game for the area around Arkham (fictional Lovecraft city) Massachusetts. I have a goo map of the city itself it is the areas around it I want to flesh out in color preferably. I can share the image I have from the published material in black and white for some perspective.

I am also debating if I do individual maps from different compass directions or one large map you can zoom int and simply have the city as a colored block or leave the bitmap image visible there. I know there is the travel guide style but that is not very colorful so shying away from that one.

Any opinions or thoughts appreciated.

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

Hi Frosty :)

It's generally not a good idea to try and cram everything into one map with 'infinite detail' (if that is what you mean). I recommend sticking to the same map plan as the game, since it seems the publishers have realised that for themselves.

As far as style goes there are lots and lots of different overland styles suitable for local or regional maps like this one, though I suspect that if you want to draw roads in your city you might need a city map stye rather than an overland style. Overland styles tend to mark cities with standardised city symbols. It is quite hard to tell which you will need because your example doesn't have a scale.

There are a range of styles available with the core app. Maybe Symbol Set 5 - Cities of Schley might be the one? Or if the area is more of a regional overland area you could use the Mike Schley Overland style that comes with the app.

• FrostyFrosty Surveyor

I agree with shoving everything into one Map. So I will do 8 Maps around the city which is the center. The city map while black and white works well and I do not feel a need to enhance it. I will take a look at the Schley overland style.

• FrostyFrosty Surveyor

Sadly that one does not include railroad tracks, I will get those I think from travel guide unless there is a better one.