Setting default sheets for personal symbols?

Hello everyone,

I have created my own catalogs and integrated them into my template. Everything is working great so far.

Now I would like to achieve that the symbols are placed on specific sheets.

To do this, I set the OPTIONS > FORCE SHEET setting for each symbol in the catalog file's symbol manager to the desired sheet - for example, to FOREST or MOUNTAINS (previously, the symbol was configured for SYMBOLS*).

Afterwards, the catalog was saved, my template reopened for editing, a completely different sheet was selected and then one of the symbols inserted as a test. The result: the symbol ends up on the original symbol sheet.

What am I doing wrong? Can you help me?

Thank you very much and many greetings

Brandor

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited January 20

If the symbol already exists in the template prior to the modifications, and has been there throughout (check Symbols in Map by clicking the left button above the symbol pane), the symbol will behave the same way it always used to with respect to which sheet it goes on.

To make it behave you first need to delete them all from the template by deleting them from the Symbol Manager, get the catalogue you just saved open in the symbols pane, and try again.

brandor
  • brandorbrandor Traveler

@Loopysue Aaah - ok. That sounds good. I'll try it out later. Thank you very much :)

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited January 20

Unless you have specific reasons for wanting a symbol to be predefined in the template itself, it's better to have an empty Symbols in Map pane when you do the final save on your template.

Examples of symbols left in the template at the final stage can be examined in any style you are using by checking what's already there when you start a new map and before you do anything else. I believe some of the overland styles have things like compasses, titles, and scale bars predefined that way.

This way, the symbols you then paste from your carefully crafted catalogues will behave exactly as expected.

brandor
  • brandorbrandor Traveler

Yes, exactly. I actually want this list of symbols in the template to be empty at the end. I had just completely lost sight of it ;)

I'm still experimenting and will test how a symbol works in the template from time to time and build a sample map, which I'll then delete from the template after 5 minutes. I just want to see if everything works the way I want it to.

But the symbols used there will of course remain in the list as symbol definitions.