Is there partial edge stripes?

I was wondering if it was possible to have a bit of edge stripe followed by a break and then more edge stripes?

If you look at this map, this is what I am looking to achieve:

Comments

• jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker

The Edge Striping effect only works on a single row of the image. It's a nice evaluation that only requires a distance from the edge. Getting a full UV mapping requires substantially more computation than the simple edge striping effect and it's not really tractable as a pure software solution.

One vaguely similar visual result would be to use CONTOURSM to generate a path that goes around the coastlines, use FRX to perturb the outline slightly, and then make the outline style dashed instead of solid. It probably won't look quite the same as the sample image, but it might work.

LoopysueJimP
  • I'm not sure if this would work, and it might be tricky to do to look good enough, but you can set up how dashed lines will appear using the "Edit line style" panel that comes up when you click on the "LS" box at the upper right of the normal CC3+ screen. While that usually has standard line and gap lengths, there's no reason you couldn't set it up with all variable lengths instead, and see how that looks. I'd advise creating a new line style if you do this though, rather than just editing one of the existing ones (though you might use one as a basis to work from).

In conjunction with what jslayton suggested, that might get you a little closer to your sample map - assuming it works OK.

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

I don't know which style it came from, but I have a 'Random' line pattern available that fits that general description.

• I checked that folder and there is no random listed. But, I think I would try that before one of the more complicated suggestions.

edited January 2

It won't be in a folder. Line styles are dependent on the template. I don't know which template it came from but I seem to have it in all my maps, even the new style I'm working on.

This isn't something I created, so it must be from one of the annual templates.

• I'm not seeing a "Random" line style in my set-up, Sue, and so far as I'm aware, I have all the Annuals installed (albeit not all may be fully up to date, since I tend to only download the monthly ones, and not the huge full set after the year's end, since that takes forever to download and install, I find). May have come from something you've been working on or testing; a forthcoming Annual, perhaps, or maybe something from CC4, assuming it's not me that's missing something here?

And I have no idea where it came from...

• I didn't find the random one there either. However, I did find a similar one under roads. I used it and it gives a sort of similar effect. Certainly not a solid line but broken up in chunks of varying length.

• edited January 2

I was going to edit my comment, Sue, but you beat me to it, as I am seeing the Random line style now, having just installed the latest Annual issue, Fantasy Realms Reimagined - so that's where it's from!

edited January 2

I used it when I found it in the collection of available line styles when I was doing Darklands City, which is a couple of years ago now, so it's older than that.

When a new template is made it's usually based on an existing one, so it may be a line style that is quite old - possibly going right back to the beginning. These older line styles can pop up here and there as new styles are created based on just the right older template.

EDIT: If it's on that brand new style I'd say at a guess that it's on the template Ralf uses to generate new overland styles.

• That's interesting Sue, as it wasn't showing in my options till just after I installed the new Annual!

I'd hoped the hill contour lines might have helped answer this query as well, but unfortunately, they're all parts of the new hill symbols, and not as a drawing tool. It does look as if they're polygons in the symbol drawings though, on closer inspection, and not lines. Even so, the random line style might help. Fingers crossed!🤞

• JulianDracosJulianDracos Mapmaker
    edited January 2

I can confirm that the random did not appear until I installed the Jan 2024 annual. I just did it now and it showed up.

Edit: I just used the random line and drew a fractal line on the land sheet for the Jan 24 annual. It does seem to do a good job at mimicking the effect.

Loopysue

Well, I've had it for at least 2 years, and I didn't make it myself, but I'm glad everyone else has it now :)

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited January 2

Keep in mind that line styles, just as fill styles, are on a per-map basis. It is not something that gets installed globally. This means that if you see a random option in the line style dialog or not, depends on if the template you started that had from had such a line style. It is not dependent on installing any particular annual or other product. These installations will never change anything in existing maps regarding line styles.

I have files from the CC2 era with this line style in them. (Check @Tutorials\UserManual\Selection.FCW)

Royal Scribe

If you paste something with that line style as a property into a map that doesn't have it, will that transfer it between maps?

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

If you insert an fcw file into another using Draw -> Insert File, the line styles (along with fill styles and symbol definitions) will be copied over. Basically same trick as for copying over missing fill styles.

LoopysueRoyal Scribe
  • I tend to use a dashed line for deserted roads or regular paths. I don't remember seeing a Random line style, but I haven't searched for it. I'll look for it in future.

On my cellphone so I can't check.