CC3+ runs on linux?

brandorbrandor Traveler
edited December 2023 in Product Questions

Hello cartographers,

I have only found a few very old references on the subject of "CC3+ and Linux". How does it look at the moment? Does CC3+ run with reasonably up-to-date Wine? How is the performance? Does it work or does it get stuck? Would it be better to set up a local virtual machine with an old Windows 7 and run CC3+ there? What are your experiences?

Edit: Oh, and can I buy CC3+ and install it in Wine as a test, see how it runs and if it doesn't work, then install it under Windows? Or will there then be licence problems because a key is linked to the first Linux/Wine hardware?

Thanks for your tips

Brandor

Comments

• suntzusuntzu Betatester Traveler

hi i run it via crossover on my mac and i can also run it under wine on a linux box that i use for testing neither of which causes me any issues

brandor
  • Hello. I use the default Wine on the latest Debian. It works well with no problems at all. FT3+ requires the 32-bit installer, but everything else needs nothing special.

The license is technically tied to you, not the installation. I suppose the legality of running it in two places at the same time might be in question, but I guarantee you that nobody in the world would fault you for installing it to test!

Good luck.

brandor
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited December 2023

@Kertis Henderson wrote:

I suppose the legality of running it in two places at the same time might be in question

Actually, as long as it is for non-commercial use, the license allows you to have it installed on up to three computers at once. (Computers belonging to your household, you can't go and share a license with two friends)

brandorLordEntrailsRoyal Scribe
  • Thank you for your feedback. That gives me courage. Then I'll start my CC3+ adventure :)

• For what it's worth, I run Campaign Cartographer 3+ on an Intel Mac (2019 MacBook Pro 16") running Windows 10 on VMware Fusion. It runs great in that environment.

brandor
  • Sorry I'm late. ;)

Turns out I was the last person to submit a test result for CC3+ on wine over at WineHQ:

It only made it to gold due to some minor inconveniences. But they're trivial / non-essential IMO. Oh, and it's worth saying I tested on Wayland (might be related) and haven't tried Xorg.

Right now I'm running wine 8.19, but haven't submitted another test because I haven't done a full install on this version. But it works just as well as the posted result.

JimPbrandor
  • Oh, thanks for the information :) I have now installed CC3+ in a VM (ProxMox) under LinuxMint with Wine. So CC3+ is running quite well for now. The only problem is that the mouse pointer lags a little behind the actual mouse movement. As if the digital pointer had run through honey. It does go where it is supposed to, but always with a short delay. This doesn't always happen. But it does happen when I have several elements on the map and it gets a bit crowded.

I have Wine version 8.0.2 instead of 8.19 like you do, which I don't quite understand, because I actually installed Wine via the PPA ... I'll have to have another look.

JimProflo1
  • Come think about it.. I did experience unusual lag (compared to running natively on Windows) while opening a very large map. My best guess would be that wine still has some shortcomings while drawing on screen.

I have Wine version 8.0.2 instead of 8.19 like you do, which I don't quite understand, because I actually installed Wine via the PPA ... I'll have to have another look.

Oh, I'm using Fedora, which has a fame for being bleeding-edge. I don't think it would make much of a difference though. And do note that the results I posted in the link on my previous post is for version 7.12. I wouldn't worry too much about versions tbh.

brandor
  • brandorbrandor Traveler

Ok, I'll give it some time to try it out. Basically, it's going quite well so far. I can always optimise it later :) And if the licence is not tied to the hardware, but to me as a person, it won't be a problem if I switch to a Windows VM in a few weeks' time :)

roflo1
  • 23 days later
  • I've been using CC3+ on various Linux computers using Wine without any problems for a couple of years now. You can use a frontend like PlayOnLinux and simply follow the install wizard.

Edit: You may have to install the Microsoft Core Fonts library if the text is unreadable.

roflo1