Unexpected results from Multipoly

I've got two polygons - one (red) is the positive space that will become a bunch of walkways, the second (blue) is a negative space cutout that I want to be an opening. I figured laying them together like this:

And then applying multipoly to the two of them would result in what I'm looking for - a cutout that would show the yellow line beneath. However, when I "Do it", I get this:

Any thoughts to what I'm doing wrong?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

Is that red polygon in the middle a separate polygon you can manipulate? Could it have been there from before you assembled the multipoly, perhaps as a copy of the blue entity?

Multipolies take on the properties of the current settings when created, not the properties of it's member, so that the multipoly itself became an outline could just be that fill style was set to hollow when you issued the command.

But, if that central red section is part of the multipoly itself, it is something I haven't quite seen before. If that is the case, can you post the .fcw file so we can take a look at it?

LoopysueJimP
  • The blue poly turns red with the multipoly command (assuming the color setting is set to red - it's also turned other colors if the settings are different), and once it looks like the second picture, the outline and the central polygon are one entity (as expected - just inverted). I'm attaching so you can take a look.

I've got the two polys I'm working with on their own sheet, and everything else is hidden.

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited November 2023

There are two identical red polygons on the WALKWAYS sheet. When the 3 of them are multiplolied together you get the two red ones cancelling each other out except for an outline. Fortunately these two red polys are on different layers, so if you hide either the "BACKGROUND (FLOOR 1)" or the "BACKGROUND (FLOOR 2)" you can use just one of them to multipoly with the blue shape.

Unless you really want both of those red polygons I recommend deleting one of them so you don't get this happening again.

JimProflo1
  • That did it!

Out of curiosity, how did you figure out there were two red polys? I'm not sure how I managed to do that; I have been futzing with this so much I lost track of all the stuff I've done.

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

Yes. Jim is correct. The first thing I do when I get a problem map is use List from the Info menu on the problem polys or symbols just to see what sheet and layer everything is on. I could see there was a duplicate because the count in the command line was instantly 2 instead of 1 object selected. When I pressed D for Do It the information for that red poly came up twice - on two different layers.

TheIneffableCheese
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

An additional thing to look for when things doesn't seem to go right is the number of selected items during the command. The command line will show the number of entities selected when you do the multipoly, and if you expected to multipoly 2 entities, but the selection tells you 3 selected, then that is a good indication that you have an extra entity in there somewhere, possibly a doubled-up one like here.

Loopysueroflo1JimPTheIneffableCheese