Cleaning Up CC3 Asset Location?

edited November 2023 in Community Support

Hello everybody,

I have heaps of CC3 assets installed (I'm a hoarder!) and was hoping to move them all (or most of them - ie, all of the non-base content) to an external hard drive.

Is there a simple way to do it, or do I need to uninstall/reinsall?

Sorry if this has been asked before, I didn't have much time to search... I'm supposed to be paying attention to a Zoom meeting 😕

---

Edit:

Eg I seem to have 4 separate locations for assets -

ProFantasy (and other) artwork in 'Documents'

A load of stuff in 'Profantasy>CC3+>Symbols'

More in 'ProgramData>ProFantasy'

And finally another in 'ProgramData>{XXXX-XXXX-XXXXX}

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited November 2023

Moving them is pretty easy:

For the stuff under 'Documents' ==> move it as you please. CC3+ doesn't reference this stuff (unless you yourself have told it to do so by manually putting images in here, and then putting these in your maps, if you have done that, you also need to update any maps referencing stuff here)

c:\ProgramData\ProFantasy\CC3Plus ==> This is the main CC3+ data directory. You can move this as you please, but you need to update the file c:\Program Files\ProFantasy\CC3Plus\@.ini with the new location. [This is a normal text file, can be edited with notepad, but you need administrator permissions to do so since it is inside the program files hierarchy.].

The only things that can go wrong here is that if you have manually added content to this folder [This IS where all map resources should go, so adding things is fine] and used it in your maps without using the @-identifier in the path. This should not be an issue with standard content, only custom content that was improperly used. If this is the case, maps using fixed paths needs to be updated, and the easiest is to open them in CC3+, and then type FFIX on the command line as this changes full paths to relative paths. But this has to be done BEFORE the move. You can read more about relative paths here.

Lastly, the {1CE7E770-44A2-4D72-991C-3E7870515B1C} folders you identified in ProgramData ==> These are not used by CC3+ itself, but by the windows installer when installing/updating/repairing/uninstalling CC3+. For normal operation, it is generally safe to remove these if you need the space, but keep them somewhere you can copy them back when windows complains about missing installers if you try any of the above operations.

Note that putting things on an external hard drive will probably slow down CC3+ a bit. It can't keep everything in memory, so it need to access those image files regularly whenever you scroll/change zoom/issue a redraw. External drives are usually significantly slower than the internal one. Personally, I recommend keeping the data directory on the internal drive for the added performance, but feel free to experiment, after all, it can easily be moved back.

LoopysueScottAKit Flemons