problems with doors SS3 bitmap A

I'm doing a floor plan inspired by a house I know well, however I have problems with the door symbols. Here are my problems:

1 not all doors cut through the walls. Despite having snap on I'm finding that some doors just will not break the walls.

2 I can't always erase the offending doors in order to try again though most times now I check after placing each door.

3 despite having defined the size (3.2) of the door, when I place the symbol, it suddenly enlarges itself. I am not resizing it as I don't have a wheel between the left and right buttons.

I'm attaching the .fcw file so you can see what might be happening or whether it's simply user error!

Best Answer

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Accepted Answer

Hi Helen :)

The long wall topside of the corridor is doubled, so the door symbols will only cut one of those two copies.

Not sure what the problem is with not being able to select the doors. Try hiding everything but the sheets the doors are on. I say sheets in the plural because for some reason there are some doors on one sheet and some doors on another.

Scaling happens when you have the CTRL key pressed and move the mouse.

Answers

Accepted Answer

Hi Helen :)

The long wall topside of the corridor is doubled, so the door symbols will only cut one of those two copies.

Not sure what the problem is with not being able to select the doors. Try hiding everything but the sheets the doors are on. I say sheets in the plural because for some reason there are some doors on one sheet and some doors on another.

Scaling happens when you have the CTRL key pressed and move the mouse.

• I know about scaling using the Ctl key but as I use the "sticky keys" and have the symbol showing when I have the Shift or Ctl keys active I know if I've accidentally activated them, @Loopysue . I hid walls and floors (to avoid deleting the kitchen and bathroom floors) to try to select all the doors but some just did not want to

I'm not sure I really understand what's happening here.

I can't make it happen using your map and the same door at the same scale you were using. It all works fine for me, but I don't ever use Sticky Keys.

I don't think Sticky Keys should affect the way CC3 works, which as I understand it isn't even aware of Sticky Keys - only that the CTRL key is either active or not.

While I was playing with your map I decided to remove that extra corridor wall and put all the doors on the SYMBOLS WALL sheet and the WALL FEATURES layer, which is where they usually end up in most styles. There is a door on the lower side of that corridor that is doubled up - two symbols pasted absolutely on top of one another. I didn't delete either one because I don't know which one you want to keep, but here is the map if it's of any use to you. I renamed it to make sure I didn't lose it among the several thousand other FCWs I have.

• I can easily up with multiple instances of the same symbol because of my cerebral palsy tremors, @Loopysue! I'll have a look at the map you put in your reply and see what you've done with the doors. What sheet do they default to, by the way? I know the windows always sink to underneath the Walls sheet which really winds me up as I end up making a sheet for them and move them by MPEDIT-ing them before I refresh the floor plan! Same with the curtain symbols.

The doors seem to be set to go to "SYMBOLS*" Which means they will go to the SYMBOLS sheet unless you have made another symbol sheet active, such as the SYMBOLS WALLS sheet. Unfortunately you can't make them go directly to any sheet that isn't prefixed by "SYMBOLS"

• thanks for the tip, Sue. When I put the windows in, I will try to remember to change the active sheet first.