Character Artist 3

Greetings,

I apologize in advance if this isn't the right category but it's the only one I think that fits the questions I have.

Question 1 - Are there additional assets for Character Artist 3, whether paid or free that expands the choices available. I'm finding they're kind of lacking. Example, I was attempting to create a male Elf wizard holding a quarterstaff with 2 hands on the figures right hand side wearing wizard robes and could not locate a corresponding symbol for the sleeves.

Question 2 - With the development of CC4 is anyone aware of an updated version for CA with enhanced and higher resolution images? Like with less of the hand-drawn look although it is fine, just feels a little outdated to me.

Thanks

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

Hi Viepyr :)

There are no additional assets for CA3 at this moment in time.

I can't answer the second question.

CC in general is designed to allow users to import their own artwork as .png files. If the modifications you need are relatively minor you could save a copy of the original artwork in the 'User' folder within Symbols (give the copy a new name), then edit that copy and reimport it to use in CA3. There are 4 resolutions in the original. The one you need to use is the one with VH in the filename, since that is the highest resolution.

• Ah, I kind of figured. I do not have the artistic ability nor tools to create my own assets. Hopefully Profantasy will upgrade all the add-ons in the future.

Thanks for the reply, Sue.

GlitchScottALoopysue
  • I ran into a few issues with CA3 some time ago, where I found a few missing items, or varicolor features that weren't varicolor, or symbols that weren't correctly set to match the standard CA3 snap grid. I reported those to ProFantasy, and what I found were all fixed quite quickly.

It sounds as if you may have spotted at least one other symbol - the missing sleeves - where there could be an issue, and if so, I'd recommend reporting that to PF directly (indicating exactly which symbol is missing).

The problem with CA3 is there's a huge number of symbols many of which look very similar to one another if you're only checking the artwork, and not testing every one in a full CC3+ drawing, so these few have probably slipped through the cracks somewhere, I suspect.

We've been asking for more artwork options for CA3 for years. However, I don't think it's an especially popular add-on for the main program, and is somewhat removed from its core mapping facilities, so it seems unlikely anything much new is liable to appear any time soon for it. The hand-drawn look is more modern-looking than the original vector artwork (which is still available in CA3), although the vector artwork was much easier to draw your own additions in, if you needed them, than the newer raster versions.

LoopysueScottAJimP
  • Interesting, I do not know what symbols are missing or should be present. My copy of CA is a fresh install and I haven't had it installed for a long while. And I agree that the current style is more modern than the vector style, but I feel it can be better but I don't know how to articulate it into words.

• Seems like there ought to be some combination of CA and police sketch artist software (which, these days, can produce photo-realistic images, but generally only do faces).

Or, if you're not looking for specific details, head to the nearest text to AI site and play. (Just don't expect it to understand eye patches. None of them do. You'll get masks, with both eyes visible, glasses, monocles, and in one spectacularly bizarre example, a nose patch.)

JimP
  • Greets

I, too, wish to emphasize that I think an update to CA would be very much welcomed by me and my Gaming Guild.

Please, if possible, do this.

Cal

JimPGlitch
  • 11 days later
  • I found an artist doing a dnd character dressup kickstarter thing (link below) a while ago and mentioned it to profantasy, as I thought there would have been potential for synergies. The response was, that they will look into it, but it's unlikely to be perused as CA3 is not a popular enough product to justify the effort/costs. So if you're interested in the character assets, you can check her out here: