So many trees!

IthrilIthril Traveler
edited October 2023 in Community Support

I have a forest I've populated with about 5,300 trees using 'Symbols in Area'. When I turn Sheet Effects on, it takes a log time for the map to refresh because of the weight of all the trees. Is there a way to retain the granular detail of so many trees, and make the map more nimble, easier and quicker to redraw, and to render?

Thanks!

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

If you're using the standard Schley Overland style, you may consider just using the tree fill instead. Of course, the fill is quite regular, matching more the result from Fill with Symbols, rather than symbols in area, so it might not be what you want.

If you use the fill, and with tree symbols around the edges, you'll struggle to see any difference compared to fill with symbols, but have a much better performance. But of course, if the more open placement of symbols in area matter to you, this won't work.

• jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker

How much of a speed difference do you see between sheet effects on and off for that map? I wouldn't expect a significant speed difference due to just the inclusion of tree symbols, but I've been wrong before.

• IthrilIthril Traveler

Thank you for the suggestions, but yes, I would prefer a more open look, and I'm using tree symbols from Jon Roberts catalog.

JSlayton, without sheets, refreshing the screen takes about 5 seconds, but depending on what I do, it can take as long as 5:37 for it to redraw the image with active sheets (sometimes with a few screen flashes that make me wonder if the system will hang!).

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited October 2023

Have you tried reducing the Display Speed 'Automatic bitmap quality to Medium instead of High while you work on the map? It means it won't look as sharp, but it may work just a bit faster.

I'm not sure if you will have to reverse that to High again before you export, but if you get a blurred export the answer to that might be yes.

You get the Display speed dialog by clicking the Display Speed Settings button on the left.

Alternatively you can try using 'Fixed bitmap quality' set to High instead of Very High, or even to Low.

GlitchJimP
  • IthrilIthril Traveler

Thank you.

That seems to have helped a bit, though I'm still 'testing' it (I'm not completely convinced :) )

At any rate I appreciate the feedback.

I

If you're getting green blinks while it's drawing, that means that you're hitting a particular bug that cause a redraw loop (it redraws over and over). I haven't been able to isolate that bug. Is it possible for me to get a copy of that map?

• pvernonpvernon Betatester 🖼️ 34 images Traveler

I have a map that will do that, sometimes. Would you like a copy?

Every test case helps, so a copy of any map that shows this problem is helpful. I'm really hoping to get my hands on one that consistently causes that problem some day.

• pvernonpvernon Betatester 🖼️ 34 images Traveler

OK,

The last time the problem showed up I zoomed in on one of the red boxes, and then zoomed back out. There are no sheet effects on this map.

Good luck on your search, intermittent in code are a b......

• IthrilIthril Traveler

I apologize for not seeing the request earlier.

Here's a copy curated for you. It will produce the error consistently (well, it does on my system anyhow).

Good luck you your bug hunting expedition.

JimP

Thank you. It doesn't trigger that pathological behavior on my machine, but it does have a lot of missing textures relative to what's installed on this machine. I wonder if it's a cache-related behavior.

JimP
  • IthrilIthril Traveler

Interesting.

I have the CSUAC textures installed, but I would imagine they get a similar path on all machines. I can't speak to cache issues.

At any rate, the trouble with it taking a long time to load seems to be resolved with Loopysue's recommendation. Thank you Loopysue!

I