Anybody Tried Windows Server 2022 for CC3+?

I'm contemplating purchasing CC3+ but am on an M2 Mac. I'm unwilling to pay the silly price tag for Parallels for just one application. Looks like folks have had reasonable success with Wine and CC3+ and I'm looking into that.

I also note that compute time for a pretty beefy Windows Server instance on AWS or Azure is near free if you're only running it for a few hours a month. Wondering if anybody has tried Windows Server 2022 with CC3+?

In the end I may take the hassle of Wine over the hassle of spinning up and down hosted machines. Just want to know my options here.

Thanks so much in advance!

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited August 2023

Haven't tried it on 2022, but I frequently run it on 2019, which is quite similar in most respects, and it runs like a charm there.

But running it remote do introduce a fair bit of extra input/display latency, especially since you won't get that much use of RDP's bitmap caching feature when working with CC3+.

Also note that installing it on a server in a datacenter can also be against the license agreement. (Installation and use. You may install a copy of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT on up to three personal computers (PCs) at one address (including laptops normally kept at that address) for non-concurrent (not used simultaneously on more than 1 PC) and non-commercial use.)

mos76
  • Thanks so much! I did consider delay issues and that could be another show stopper. I haven't historically had issues with most apps on RDP via AWS as long as my Internet connection is good, but none of them have been this graphic intense either.

Licensing isn't something I considered; good call! Technically I'll be installing and running at one address - a data center. I don't intend on sharing; it will only be me. I wouldn't say remote hosting is outright against the license agreement, but it's a definite grey area. Legal and accounting rarely do anything based on logic. I'll clarify that with support.

If I take the plunge, I'll post my results in case anybody else is interested in this subject. This will be a winter time project for me so it may be a while...

• If you're concerned about running it on a server OS, you might take a look at Kamatera. They offer Windows 8 and 10 desktops, and with "as available" 1 CPU, 3 GB RAM and 30 GB of drive space, it's $20/month if it's on all the time. (You can also get hourly billing, and shut it down when you're not using it, but there's no included bandwidth at that point so it might not be much cheaper. Starts at under $7/month, though.)

There's a first month free offer (up to $100), with no obligation to continue (be sure to cancel if you don't like it, though, that's not automatic).

I've had a web server running since the first of the year, and their service is first rate (and they have huge internet pipes, so bandwidth on their end isn't a problem).

mos76
  • Awesome! Thanks @taustinoc !!!

Support has confirmed that remote usage this way is within the licensing agreement. No problem as long as you follow the install and concurrency clauses.

I'll play with this some more come winter and look at various hosting options and share.

Appreciate everyone's input!

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

Another thing to consider as you did mention running on Azure. They support machines with desktop OS as well (Win 10/11), not just server OS.

mos76