Your connection isn't private

When I try to download CC3+ from my downloads I get the following message. It tells me hackers are trying to steal my information from downloads.profantasy.com. It says the certificate (for the website) ran out three days ago and its unsecured. Would like to get to my downloads but my browser isn't letting me.

Comments

• Attackers might be trying to steal your information from download.profantasy.com (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards).

• edited July 2023

EDIT (Ralf): I've removed the direct download link here.

• This server could not prove that it is download.profantasy.com; its security certificate expired 3 days ago. This may be caused by a misconfiguration or an attacker intercepting your connection. Your computer's clock is currently set to Monday, July 17, 2023. Does that look right? If not, you should correct your system's clock and then refresh this page.

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

Thanks for raising this matter.

I've notified Profantasy management on your behalf.

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

While not a good thing, this is far less serious than the browser like to claim. In this case it is just an expired certificate (but otherwise a valid one), so it is safe to ignore the warning and proceed. Certificates always have a set expiry date, so an expired certificate doesn't have anything to do with hacker, and the message that the information isn't private is actually a lie, because even an expired certificate encrypts the connection.

Of course, ignoring browser security warnings IS NOT a good thing, and not something that should be done unless you are absolutely sure it is safe to do so. Although it is surprisingly often completely safe (as part of my job, I have to do it all the time), it could also mean that there is indeed a problem, like a hacker playing man in the middle or having taken over DNS and redirecting you to a fake site. If you are even just the tiniest bit uncertain, wait until someone has fixed the certificate which should happen soon.

Loopysueroflo1JimP
  • My domain is set to auto update the certificates, but it doesn't always do so.

• RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker

This was an expired certificate on that subdomain and should be fixed now.

LoopysueJimProflo1