Help exporting view from FT3+ to CC3+

Hello,

I am trying to export a view of North America using FT3+. I set up my view and export, but none of the settings seem to show what I see in FT3+. In FT3+ the map clearly shows the Great Lakes, for example, but in CC3+ everything is kind of grayish. Is there a way to get an export that actually looks something like it does in FT3+?

Thanks!

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

Please can you show us a screen shot of the FT3 world and the resulting CC3 map, ubai?

• ubaiubai Newcomer

Sure! I found that legacy contour 100 was as close as I could get, at least I could see the great lakes well enough to make them out. Thanks for looking!

LoopysueJimP
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

The problem originates with the FT3 world. The lakes are green, which indicates they are being shown as low lying land rather than water.

However, I'm not such an expert at this type of FT world that I would know how to correct it. Don't worry, though, as there are people around who will probably be able to help you with this one.

ubai
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker

The problem is that the height map that you are using shows where the atmosphere ends, meaning that oceans and lakes are flat areas at various altitudes. When the ft export happens, it creates contours at certain altitudes and will miss features between those altitudes. For example, the great lakes are at around 577' altitude, and your map looks like it has contours well below and well above that altitude.

• ubaiubai Newcomer

That is the real world data that came with FT3+. Is there any way to fix it?

Thanks!

• jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker

I don't recall which data set ships with FT3+, but I don't really see anything to "fix" here.

If you want a contour at 578' to get the coastlines of the Great Lakes (and everything else in the world at that altitude), when you should be able to modify an existing export setting to use the Advanced contour settings and add a contour at 578' (the Great Lakes approximate altitude is 577', but you can check that in your FT3 data set using the View Properties toolbar and mousing over the area in question). Note that the 578' contour will happen across the whole world and you'll need to trim off the parts of the contour that aren't in your area of interest.

JimPLoopysue
  • Why the exported colours in exported CC3 maps do not match the colours shown in FT3(+) is discussed here:

Greetings,

André

This CC3+ map has been exported from FT3+ with 200m height contours using the method described in the article above.

LoopysueJimP